Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Is night wheeling a bad idea?

Old 07-05-2015, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is night wheeling a bad idea?

I kind of assumed that it would be like hiking - you're not supposed to go after dusk because it's more dangerous for you and those who have to get involved if you need to be rescued. Also might piss off the campsites if they're along that trail.

On the other hand I see a lot of Wranglers with extra lights and light bars and read a few threads about how awesome it is. I'd love to give it a try on an easy trail to see the stars and good views but was not sure if night wheeling was a bad idea.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

It's a little more challenging, but I find it much more enjoyable. It's cooler, there's less people, and it's kinda eerie at times. Just make sure you're either traveling with another vehicle, or that someone back home knows where you are in case you get into trouble. Having a winch and/or shovel, while knowing how to safely recover yourself, is mandatory in my book. In my opinion, wheeling at night will make you a better driver as well. Try it out and you'll understand why jeeps have a lot of lights!
Old 07-05-2015, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never wheel a trail you've never done during the day at least once.

And the Oklahoma guys don't realize that wheeling in the mountains isn't hot in the dead of summer, so that's not an issue either. But seeing cliffs is. Also wildlife might be a little more active which might not be a good thing either. But what's the point of wheeling in mountains at night anyways? You're there for the views. Moab night wheeling is pretty cool though.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The club I wheel with rarely wheels in the day during the summer. 11X degrees out there. But we're only going 25 mph to the trail and 4 mph on the trail. X2 on not wheeling alone or be familiar with the trail.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DKehler
The club I wheel with rarely wheels in the day during the summer. 11X degrees out there. But we're only going 25 mph to the trail and 4 mph on the trail. X2 on not wheeling alone or be familiar with the trail.
Are you kidding me, it's still 100+ at midnight there in the summer. If I were you guys I would find some caves to wheel in.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3960536656.png
Views:	497
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	617092

Night wheeling is a blast. It adds a new element of difficulty to any trail. We recently went on a night run at our favorite rock crawling trail. Here we are staging up.
Don't go alone, have adequate lighting, and use your head.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-07-2015, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

night wheeling is awesome, like others said it brings a whole new element to off roading. Just be cautious of your surroundings (especially reversing).
Old 07-21-2015, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

I've never been a fan of night wheeling. You lose some of your depth perception and (for me) it's tougher to see holes and dips in the trail. I prefer to see exactly what I'm doing while I'm Jeeping.
To each his own...
Old 07-21-2015, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BillR
I've never been a fan of night wheeling. You lose some of your depth perception and (for me) it's tougher to see holes and dips in the trail. I prefer to see exactly what I'm doing while I'm Jeeping. To each his own...
Hey, people have to put their expensive mall crawler lights to good use haha

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-21-2015, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 951rubi
hey, people have to put their expensive mall crawler lights to good use haha

sent from my iphone using jk-forum
bam!!!

Quick Reply: Is night wheeling a bad idea?