Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

off roading with an auto

Old 02-25-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toad
I only do the right foot/left foot at the same time when I'm stopped on a steep climb/rock and I don't want to jerk backwards. I rarely use both feet on the pedals at the same time but there have been instances where I've needed to do it.
I had an instance two years ago while going down hill over some bolders were I had both feet on the brake pedal. Turned out that I was pressing on both the gas & the brake at the same time, and the harder I pressed the faster I went.
It took about a week for my bruises to go away. The wife was a little upset.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:23 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by j33per
I'm not quite getting "the right foot and the left foot on the brake thing" unless the gentle braking is done to make sure the rear diff's LSD is properly engaging so to speak.

On an ascent, just leave the gear's position in "D" as the autobox will select the optimum gear for the situation you're in. Use "1" or "2" for descents so that the engine does most of the braking. If your backside starts to slide, appky a bit of throttle to straighten her out again.

Generally, gently does it. You'll be amazed how little throttle is required for the steepest of rock climbs.
I guess I should've been clearer - like toad explained better - on a steep incline going over some serious rocks, where you want to have a steady acceleration but don't want to get the jerky motion from having to get the foot off the gas to hit the brakes, I guess one foot on each pedal can help out.

I only do the right foot/left foot at the same time when I'm stopped on a steep climb/rock and I don't want to jerk backwards. I rarely use both feet on the pedals at the same time but there have been instances where I've needed to do it.
That's what I was trying to say Thanks for clarifying that
Old 02-26-2010, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Practice using your right foot on the skinny (gas) pedal and your left foot on the brake. This technique allows you to hold your position while feathering in your acceleration. Use this technique instead of quickly taking your foot off the brake and quickly mashing the accelerator.

If you are holding your position with your foot your left foot on the brake pedal you can slowly increase your RPMs with the accelerator, then release the brake as the Jeep comes under power. This technique allows you to keep from sliding forward or back between the time you shift your foot from the brake to the accelerator.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good tips!
Can you rock back and forth moving to D to R like in a manual, or is it better to be "gentle" with the lever ... say your are stuck, what's the proper way to go forward and reverse?
Old 02-27-2010, 05:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Things I've learned while off-roading in my auto:

• Steady throttle control. No need to slam on the gas and gun it...having steady throttle control gets you up whatever obstacle you are climbing.

• If you don't have lockers, use the e-brake. The e-brake pulled up a couple of clicks acts as a "locker" and gives you that little bite that you need.

I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of right now.
this is good advice!!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

My advice is stay in low range unless you are running fast . The torque convertor generates a lot of heat when its running below stall speed ( usually around 1500 rpm) so if you stay in low range the tranny will stay cooler cause the engine is running above 1500 more often.
Also, don't idle in gear, put it in nuetral or park. What often happens is that folks get backed up at an obstacle, and if you stay idling in gear the tranny gets warm, then when it really has to work at the obstacle it heats up. If you put it in park, the tranny cools down while you are waiting, then the heat created at the obstacle is no biggee. Don't be afraid to manually select gears for the same reasons.
An extra tranny cooler is a very good idea. Low range also helps with downhills.
Tom
Old 02-27-2010, 12:38 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by leolito
Good tips!
Can you rock back and forth moving to D to R like in a manual, or is it better to be "gentle" with the lever ... say your are stuck, what's the proper way to go forward and reverse?
Well......of course being gentle is always a good idea "IF" you don't want to break something. But I have been known to be able to "rock" the jeep with an auto. It's far from doing it with a manual. It's more of a "rhythm" type of thing when you can almost sense when you are about to stop, and when you do, you apply the break and switch into reverse, or visaversa, at almost the same and very quickly, then slightly apply the throttle. Each situation is going to be different, but as you learn how to do it, you will begin to pick up the "rhythm" "somewhat" like you did with a manual. You just have to be real careful as you don't want to put it into reverse or drive with the wheels still going the opposite direction.....not good....
Old 02-27-2010, 04:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Well......of course being gentle is always a good idea "IF" you don't want to break something. But I have been known to be able to "rock" the jeep with an auto. It's far from doing it with a manual. It's more of a "rhythm" type of thing when you can almost sense when you are about to stop, and when you do, you apply the break and switch into reverse, or visaversa, at almost the same and very quickly, then slightly apply the throttle. Each situation is going to be different, but as you learn how to do it, you will begin to pick up the "rhythm" "somewhat" like you did with a manual. You just have to be real careful as you don't want to put it into reverse or drive with the wheels still going the opposite direction.....not good....
The highlighted part, above, is the thing I don't have down yet, with my automatic. The rhythm with the manual worked well. Shifting the automatic is not as quick.
Your last sentence, above, is what I'm trying to work into said rhythm.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JungleJeep
I guess you are forgetting all the posts of Jeeps stuck in mud and destroying clutches trying to get out. Not me. I love my auto. I'll take a stick at the dragstrip though thanks.
I'd take the auto at the dragstrip - more consistent times and no missed throws BUT the manual sure is more fun to row through the gears with.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:22 PM
JK Freak

These guys are covering it. Don't be afraid to shift by hand. Two feet (brake and gas) going up steep stuff for better control. Low low down steep stuff. I like having auto. I am not coordinated enough for manual.

Quick Reply: off roading with an auto