Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Opinions tires in the snow

Old 12-24-2015, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions tires in the snow

Ureently i have the BFG TA KO on the jeep and i was wondering what i should expect in snow performance. I have some experience in snow wheeling but never with the KO any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Sam

Btw its a 2 door 1.5 inches of lift and 32" tires
Old 12-24-2015, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a true 4x4, it will do great.

If your snow wheeling, turn off traction control in 4hi.

If your driving around on snowy roads in 4hi, I find putting it back into 2hi on tight turns makes things a bit smoother.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Airing way down is the key to wheelin in the snow. You gotta get below 10# and really flatten out the tire. As for street driving, those KO2s are gonna be great
Old 12-24-2015, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the help do you think ill be good with airing down that low on the stock wheels i know they aren't really meant for that low of pressure?
Should i stay out of 4lo if i can help it?
Thanks
Sam
Old 12-25-2015, 01:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My KO's on the street were awesome, even last year when we had 3' of snow and I had somewhere I HAD to be! It was the craziest thing I've ever experienced (snow driving related). I backed out of the garage and was immediately stuck with all 4 wheels off the ground (when I went from R to D). So I shoveled around the tires a tiny bit, then went forward... out the driveway, down the street, and into a development that was completely unplowed. The snow was nearly to the turn signals. Neighbors stopped shoveling as I passed by and watched, waving, laughing, some just in awe. That Jeep with those tires (in 33's) got the job done! Anything else has paled by comparison.

As for airing down, my understanding is that on the street or in snow that's not too deep, narrow, aired up tires will cut down to the hard surface below. Airing down is for really deep, soft stuff that you want to try and stay on top of. Of course, if you're off road, you need to air down because you'll still need rock traction.

I used 4LO when I was in the really heavy stuff so I didn't have to work the tranny too hard. I like using gears more than power if possible. But much of it depends on conditions and personal preference. But as said above, traction control off is usually the way to go so that the computer doesn't cut power or apply the brakes when you are slipping in the snow. You need some slipping, can't be helped.

#1 rule, use momentum to make it your friend.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here in Alaska its snowy about half the year. Still riding around on stock all terrains and they've been amazing. I only ever use 4-hi when I hit a stop just cause that's where you run into the most ice build up and then throw it back into 2 wheel after I get traction because of the 50/50 power distribution. Wheel hop is annoying in turns, also I get about 9 MPG with the horrible winter blend of fuel they have here and constantly having to leave it running lol.

Quick Reply: Opinions tires in the snow