Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Problems after getting out of this hole

Old 03-31-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rirvan79
Bad news. Shaking is back. Tranny fluid looked clean to me. I checked the fluid in the diffs. It didn't look like chocolate milk but was a light grey and felt thin. The fluid in the rear diff was a little foamy. I will be changing tonight.
Light grey tells me you have water still in the diff. Open up the diff's and Spray your diff's with brake cleaner & give them a good wipe and reseal and fill up again. i wouldn't wait for the Lubelocker go down to your local autopart store and get some RTV and do the change ASAP.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mud...in your Tires....

Sent from my Incredible in Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-01-2011, 02:47 AM
JK Newbie

Changed the fluids last night and I won't say the shaking went away yet but it felt good on the test drive. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Is there any way mud/water can get into axle? After draining and cleaning the rear diff, some fluid was slowly coming out of the passenger side axle into the differential.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 AM
JK Freak

Changed the fluids last night and I won't say the shaking went away yet but it felt good on the test drive. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Is there any way mud/water can get into axle? After draining and cleaning the rear diff, some fluid was slowly coming out of the passenger side axle into the differential.
Absolutly mud and water can get into the axles. Remove the covers drain and BrakeKlean the entire carrier area then reseal and fill the diffs to spec. Raise your axle breather tubes also.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not that I plan on getting in a hole that deep again, but hey, we all know it happens, is there anything other than breather tube extensions and a snorkle yall would suggest?
Yea stay out of the mud. Hit the rocks instead.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Bad news. Shaking is back. Tranny fluid looked clean to me. I checked the fluid in the diffs. It didn't look like chocolate milk but was a light grey and felt thin. The fluid in the rear diff was a little foamy. I will be changing tonight.
Well, You did the Fluid changes and clean the inside of the Rims and the shaking went away but now is back.

I getting the impression that is something Electrical

Do you have a way to check via OBD port for any codes or run a diagnostic?

At what speed is the shaking?
Does it shake in idle?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

After pulling diff covers and cleaning the diff with brake clean, I have had no issues. Hoping that did it.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Change the diff fluid, maybe slow down a little. All you people saying stay out of mud... stop. It's annoying and you're almost always going to encounter some on a trail unless you're in the desert. If he wants to use his Jeep for mud, go for it. We all have different styles, but one thing in common. We all love our Jeeps.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Looks like you may be new to the sport........advice mud = time and money!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

If the engine dies in water then I would NOT try and start it again.. reason being if you sucked water in your intake/engine and it dies you have a chance to save that engine by changing oil, removing spark plugs and turning the crank to get it out, otherwise you could hydrolock the engine..check your oil and see the color of it. Exploring in water is very expensive if you don't have the proper equipment(snorkel)

This was my second time out and didn't go too good. Made it this far and while trying to rock it out, check engine light came on and motor shut off. This had me pretty worried. After 2 hours of pulling it out with a come a long, it started right up. Spit about a gallon of water and mud out of the exhaust but seemed to run fine. When I finally got to pavement, I noticed a problem. When I hit about 2500 - 3000 rpm in 2nd gear (I have and auto) it starts shaking. After it shift doesn't seem to be a problem. I change the oil as soon as I got home. Check the transmission fluid and it is right at the full mark and looks clean. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Oh yeah, winch and snorkle are my next two mods.

Attachment 143119

Quick Reply: Problems after getting out of this hole