Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

pulling people out

Old 01-22-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by karls

That's insane....both parts of it. I would not use someone else's gear when I know that a breakage could send the recovery strap/ chain/ etc. my direction with quite a bit of force. Furthermore- I don't know if their gear has stress fatigue. I don't trust other people's gear.

The deposit in case your gear gets messed up is also odd.......not something I've seen. If you don't want your stuff messed up then why volunteer to help out?
If you don't trust the people (and their gear) you wheel with, find different people. I do agree with your remarks if you stumble into a third party recovery situation, however.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:10 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make em' sign a contract and show a COA aka certificate of liability. They must also list me as an additional insured and add my estate as the certificate holder.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls
That's insane....both parts of it. I would not use someone else's gear when I know that a breakage could send the recovery strap/ chain/ etc. my direction with quite a bit of force. Furthermore- I don't know if their gear has stress fatigue. I don't trust other people's gear.

The deposit in case your gear gets messed up is also odd.......not something I've seen. If you don't want your stuff messed up then why volunteer to help out?
was just looking at a pic of your jeep stock on 35s.... I went wheeling this weekend with a couple guys and I didn't mind pulling them out because there was a time when my jeep was stuck in mud and they were knee deep in mud pushing my jeep to help me get out. The first things I bought when I got a jeep was recovery gear.

I ended up just making it known that I'm not going to be pulling anyone. I have my close group of friends and we go out and they know i'll pull them if they get stuck but if they know they're taking a line that's difficult or going into deep deep mud they'll ask beforehand if i'll winch them if they're stuck and they'll help me afterwards with it. I guess it does come down to who you're wheeling with.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezekiel97
I ended up just making it known that I'm not going to be pulling anyone.

Wow... you'd find yourself with no one to wheel with around here. It's a pretty shitty attitude you got there and it will get you nowhere in this sport, as nearly everyone will put in a hand, gear, spare parts, whatever's needed to help a fellow out. You are the exception to the rule.... good luck.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Wow... you'd find yourself with no one to wheel with around here. It's a pretty shitty attitude you got there and it will get you nowhere in this sport, as nearly everyone will put in a hand, gear, spare parts, whatever's needed to help a fellow out. You are the exception to the rule.... good luck.
agreed....
Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABENDX
cool way to cut what I said to only show the negative part and missed the part where I'll pull my friends who I also said are willing to do anything to help get my jeep out. I just find it hard that people have 40K jeeps but won't spend 300$ on a winch. When I wheel with my close friends(6 jeeps and under) it's not a big deal I pull anyone out because they'll do the same. It is when i'm with 18+ jeeps and i barely know half of them. I guess this makes me a horrible person which isn't a big deal. I know that I was raised that when I wheel I come prepared, if I use something from someone I return it in better condition than I received it, and if I break something that's not mine...I replace it.

It's like going to the gun range...I shoot 3 times a week. Sometimes people need to borrow my stapler or forget their targets or earmuffs or want to try out one of my guns...no biggie i'll gladly let you use my stuff...but if a guy continuously is out there with 4000$ in rifles and handguns and keeps bumming stuff it just gets annoying.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are seeing it the wrong way, for me is fun pulling people out, every sunday I go to the local sand dunes and I'm pulling people out all the time and I don't mind, is not that people want you to pay for their own or something like that, you should feel proud pulling people out.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

yeah rafa i think i'm getting my point across wrong.

Last edited by Ezekiel97; 02-24-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

What I am saying is that it's a pretty dick move not to help someone in the back country (or anywhere for that matter).... whether you know them or not.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Isn't it a dick move to put other people in the situation because you're not prepared?

all in all i guess I came here to get an opinion on what other people do.....If I don't want to help people who aren't curtious and don't want to take care of my gear then I guess i'm a dick and eventually i'll have nobody to wheel with and I won't complain if that happens. Until then, I'll continue to pull out the new guys, friends who are courtious, and people who would do the same for me.

Last edited by Ezekiel97; 01-23-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: pulling people out