Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

A quick guide to off roading basics- help me create it

Old 05-11-2015, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope to get started on this thing this week.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

I have created a very basic Tri-Fold brochure that I think covers all the basics and trail etiquette for off roaders, and I feel like it would apply at any location. I attached the rough draft below for the firing line, and I also sent one up to Friends of Uwharrie | Dedicated to Preserving the Uwharrie National Forest for Today and Tomorrow for critique. I look forward to your thoughts.

Off Roading Basics.docx
Old 05-27-2015, 09:18 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoysRig
All that crap and yet Fire Extinguisher didn't make the list.
Quick note on fire extinguishers...

I'm all for being prepared. However, unless your fire is small and you catch it immediately, attempting to save a vehicle from a fire is dangerous. I've been in a car on fire and it sucked. Now that I'm older, wiser, and better insured, I'd use an extinguisher to save someone's life but otherwise I'd get everyone to safety, let it burn to the ground, and claim a total loss from insurance. A car fire in a garage is probably the only exception (where the house is at risk) and even that would depend on the circumstances. Also, rebuilding any vehicle with non-trivial fire damage is a nightmare.

Pack the extinguisher, but spend some time thinking about when you'd use it beforehand and pray that you're thinking straight if you ever have to use it.

Last edited by cfr; 05-27-2015 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-28-2015, 02:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by cfr
Quick note on fire extinguishers...

I'm all for being prepared. However, unless your fire is small and you catch it immediately, attempting to save a vehicle from a fire is dangerous. I've been in a car on fire and it sucked. Now that I'm older, wiser, and better insured, I'd use an extinguisher to save someone's life but otherwise I'd get everyone to safety, let it burn to the ground, and claim a total loss from insurance. A car fire in a garage is probably the only exception (where the house is at risk) and even that would depend on the circumstances. Also, rebuilding any vehicle with non-trivial fire damage is a nightmare.

Pack the extinguisher, but spend some time thinking about when you'd use it beforehand and pray that you're thinking straight if you ever have to use it.
That's really good advice. One of my friends carries two extinguishers--one by the driver's seat (where I also keep mine) so it can be grabbed immediately. And the second at the back of his Jeep--where we both have our cooking areas. I'm thinking of adding a second one now.

Another thought along this same line: In preparing to run the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route later this summer, one thing preying on all participants minds is the fire hazard along the route. The biggest fire issue if your Jeep catches on fire may not be your Jeep at all (I know, hard to believe). It may be preventing the fire from spreading into the surrounding forest; use your extinguisher wisely!
Old 05-28-2015, 04:41 AM
JK Freak

Did you guys follow the link to the brochure and check it out?
Old 05-28-2015, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

Got an error trying to access it....
Old 05-28-2015, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. If you tried to view it from a phone it may not work. It's a microsoft word docx file.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Ok, I tried it from my iPad. Will log on with my PC and check it out. Thanks
Old 05-28-2015, 10:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
I have created a very basic Tri-Fold brochure that I think covers all the basics and trail etiquette for off roaders, and I feel like it would apply at any location. I attached the rough draft below for the firing line, and I also sent one up to Friends of Uwharrie | Dedicated to Preserving the Uwharrie National Forest for Today and Tomorrow for critique. I look forward to your thoughts.

Attachment 612452
It is written, of necessity, at a very high level. Perhaps it should emphasize that there is much more to learn about going off road, and encourage the reader to do so: Classes, websites, books, etc.

I won't go into grammar--figure you'll proof--but think at one point the word "rather" was intended to be "whether".

On the bullet about not being pressured, suggest you add to not be guilty of pressuring anyone to try something. Challenge by choice, not by shaming.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

I'm not proud bud, i'm humble. I'll look for the grammatical error you pointed out, and let me know if you see anymore. I posted some resources, but i've got room on that section to elaborate more, and provide additional resources. I'm open to suggestion if there are some opportunities or better resources I can note. This document will be left open for all to use and distribute. I won't be keeping it for myself, i'm just creating it.

I think there is a fine line between encouraging and pressuring. What i've learned is if you leave people be, they will eventually step up to the plate when they feel comfortable doing so. Two things cause problems on obstacles that i've seen, being stupid and only being half committed. I will encourage people to try things, but only if I feel confident their rig is set up for it and I feel good about their skill level. But if I get any resistance I leave it be. Some people don't know when to call the ball. Even I shy away from things sometimes, despite feeling good about my skills behind the wheel. With all that said, and because everyone interprets things differently, I say no encouragement at all is better than chancing pushing someone into something they really don't want to do. I'll modify that section as well.

Thanks for your input sir.

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It is written, of necessity, at a very high level. Perhaps it should emphasize that there is much more to learn about going off road, and encourage the reader to do so: Classes, websites, books, etc.

I won't go into grammar--figure you'll proof--but think at one point the word "rather" was intended to be "whether".

On the bullet about not being pressured, suggest you add to not be guilty of pressuring anyone to try something. Challenge by choice, not by shaming.

Quick Reply: A quick guide to off roading basics- help me create it