Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recovery safety

Old 11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never connect two snatch straps together with a d ring. They can safely be connected by running the loop through one another. These straps have a great amount of stretch and if one breaks you will have the d ring flying back at one vehicle. I have read of two fatalities that have occured this way. I will try to find the article. JP
Old 11-26-2007, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wish I could find the post on Pirates. The strap broke on the stuck vehicle side of the D ring. When the energy recoiled , it fulled the shackle into the recovery drivers head. It removed about 30 percent of his head. Very very messy. I dont have a search button anymore on Pirates. Anyway here are a couple references.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Recov...p-Accident.htm
http://www.trjc.com/Tech/SnatchStraps.htm
Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

All these horror stories I see online make me never want to recover anyone, but that sucks. However I remember when I was younger and we'd go wheeling or out on the farm, we'd push, pull, and tow people out all the time with little regard for safety or using rigged equipment... can't believe we never got hurt. I remember a chain busted trying to pull out a truck with a tractor so we went back, welded it back together and finally towed the thing out after another break or two.

Then again, I think my child swing/chair as a kid was like rusted metal and you can forget about child seats in the car. Different times I guess...

Last edited by sQuid; 11-26-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

My JK came with the factory class II receiver hitch. Since it's not class III, should I be using this point for recovery?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by troyboy
My JK came with the factory class II receiver hitch. Since it's not class III, should I be using this point for recovery?
No one has an answer for this?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Class 2 hitches will handle up to 3500lbs. You shouldnt have a problem using that as a recovery point. You can buy a D-ring receiver or a tow hook that will fit your stock tow package.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

The reality is that if Jeep tells us it's good for 3500#, it is likely good for much more. BUT, a Jeep weighs 4000# and if stuck probably has more resistance than that. But I think a stock tow hook has the same mounting as the hitch? There is no real rating on the tow hooks that I have seen.

You buy a winch with a rating of 1.5 to 2.0 times the vehicle weight, but use a hitch rated at 0.7 of the weight? Just something to think about.

My guess is that it is OK for a recovery point, but if you really get to jerking and tugging, you may want to keep an eye on it to see if it starts bending anything.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kerryp
could always get you one of these. tow truck drivers use these in their recovery efforts, you can hook the hook in various ploaces. They alos make different style hooks and I think they make hooks that fit into frame holes, just depends how much you want to carry

just keep in mind it does have metal on the end and thus requires some serious thinking on hook up points for safety reasons. I don't like metal on the end of things, but you have to realize winches have a metal hook and tow truck drivers use metal recovery equipment, but they are trained to do it safely (at least some of them are).

I had a couple of these made for me many years ago:

Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blueox
Never connect two snatch straps together with a d ring. They can safely be connected by running the loop through one another.
Trust me, if you do this, you will never get them back apart - stick, newspaper or otherwise.

These straps have a great amount of stretch and if one breaks you will have the d ring flying back at one vehicle.
This is definitely a concern if you are using an inferior strap. So long as you make sure to use a strap rated at 10,000 lb or more (I use a 30,000 lbs strap) and it's in good condition, you should be just fine.

Originally Posted by blueox
I wish I could find the post on Pirates. The strap broke on the stuck vehicle side of the D ring. When the energy recoiled , it fulled the shackle into the recovery drivers head. It removed about 30 percent of his head. Very very messy. I dont have a search button anymore on Pirates. Anyway here are a couple references.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Recov...p-Accident.htm
http://www.trjc.com/Tech/SnatchStraps.htm
Very tragic but also preventable. The first article had the guy pulling from point that was not intended for pulling. If you use a proper tow point, this should not be an issue. As pointed out in the 2nd article, the health of a strap is very important. If you use one that has been used many times in the past, it could be dangerous to use in general - hell, vehicle recovery is dangerous in general. Whenever possible, doubling up straps should be avoided but if you do need to do it, I can tell you that using a D-ring to join them can be done but extreme caution should be excercised - just like using a Hi-Lift Jack.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

I just picked up a 50' Superstrap. You dont have to tie it...you just weave it ....The guy at the local 4x4 shop said that they are awesome!!! No knots etc.....

just google Superstrap you'll find them. Only cost me $50.

Quick Reply: Recovery safety