Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

rock rails, frame vs body bolt on

Old 02-22-2016, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groovebus
I got these from White Knuckle Offroad in Apple Valley CA. They were only $410 bare metal and they are bullet proof. I got them unpainted to save the $100 on powder coat since it's going to get scraped off anyway. I also drove up there to pick them up to save the $100 in shipping charges. My friend Scott at Scott Monks Racing in Hesperia welded them for me. I don't like the way that alot of rails bolted on to the body at the pinch weld and the pre-drilled holes under the body. Or they attached at the body mounts; like the ACE rails. I was afraid if I came down hard enough, and often enough, the weight of the engine, frame, and drive train would weaken the body mounts. So I opted to weld them on. They are awesome. The front bracket attaches under the front skid plate cross member, with the bolt running through the bracket, and it aligns the install perfectly after that. I like the "L" brackets because they wrap around under the frame. They are marketed as bolt on. 3/16th" DOM steel, 2x3" rectangular tub with a 1 1/2" kicker. You can get them with a 20 degree bend on the kicker or straight. They make a great step after I added some grip tape. He builds them when you order them.
they look great...definitely on the short list for my jk
Old 02-22-2016, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I just installed a set of White Knuckle Off Road sliders on mine. Bolted on, but will be welded soon. Super excited to take them out this coming weekend. They are super beefy!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-237105151.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	638540  
Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mine professionally mounted by my body shop. Bolted and welded on. Then I Rhino Linked the area just above the rails to black-out everything below the doors.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LOD Rock sliders

I have LOD rock sliders that bolt to the frame. I'm not sure if they are DOM. But they are freaking heavy duty they weighted over 100lbs shipped and if I wanted to I could lay some beads down on the mount to strengthen it. But I think they are strong enough and If I need to repaint I can unbolt them sand them down and repaint.

Name:	FullSizeRender-5.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	638603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3680.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	638604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3685.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	638606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3694-2.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	638608  
Old 02-23-2016, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So. Not advocating for either. Obviously body mounted is going to have certain drawbacks but here are a couple of 20 second videos on the stock Rubicon body mounted rock rails taking quite the hit. I found them fun to watch and thought I'd share here. Hey. They stood up pretty well in these two situations.

http://youtu.be/SqkjBgO53Q4 http://youtu.be/g5oVimr5n7o
Old 02-23-2016, 03:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carolina Trail Stalkers

Lol. He's part of Carolina Trail Stalkers. I'm also a member.

Name:	IMG_3220.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	638612  
Old 02-23-2016, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Machoo
So. Not advocating for either. Obviously body mounted is going to have certain drawbacks but here are a couple of 20 second videos on the stock Rubicon body mounted rock rails taking quite the hit. I found them fun to watch and thought I'd share here. Hey. They stood up pretty well in these two situations.

http://youtu.be/SqkjBgO53Q4 http://youtu.be/g5oVimr5n7o
You can see in the second vid where there is damage to the body at the seam. Mine pushed up in to the body and caused damage when I was trying to get thru a V-notch. IMO they are ok for sliding over stuff but hits or pressure from the side or any kind of drop onto them and they are going to push into the body, at least on a 4 door. I think maybe a two door might do better.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
You can see in the second vid where there is damage to the body at the seam. Mine pushed up in to the body and caused damage when I was trying to get thru a V-notch. IMO they are ok for sliding over stuff but hits or pressure from the side or any kind of drop onto them and they are going to push into the body, at least on a 4 door. I think maybe a two door might do better.
x2 on this comment
Old 02-23-2016, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah I would think that perhaps the two door rails would have more rigidity being shorter. But either way they performed pretty good even for a hit like that since they really are "sliders".
Old 10-05-2017, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
I just installed a set of White Knuckle Off Road sliders on mine. Bolted on, but will be welded soon. Super excited to take them out this coming weekend. They are super beefy!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Just picked up a set of these myself. How are your's holding up?

Quick Reply: rock rails, frame vs body bolt on