Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Sand and leaking axel seals

Old 09-25-2016, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand and leaking axel seals

I have a stock 2014 JKU and each of the past two summers I've travelled to Silver Lake state park in Michigan for a week of sand duning. I've also been off-roading to a few jeep fests and general exploring. I don't baby my Jeep but I don't abuse it either. During my last oil change, I noticed fluid leaking from the right front axel. The other three looked as if they had leaked in the past.
I took it to the dealership and they had to replace the rear axel seals. The front axel had to be drained, cleaned out and diff fluid replaced. They said there was a ton of sand inside the front axel and differential. The service manager had to mention that they could have voided the warranty because of assumed vehicle abuse but covered it anyway out of the goodness of her heart.
My question is was the sand responsible for the seals going bad or bad seals just allowed the sand to get inside?
And needless to say I'll be staying off sand in the future or at least not going as hard!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

so I don't have experience up that way, but there are folks around Fort Bragg that run through water holes that are VERY sandy... many of them experience axle seal failure.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've spent quite a bit of time on the beach without seal failures. What are you doing differently with running through the dunes that driving on the beach doesn't do?
Old 09-25-2016, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, I've had to have my front seals done on both sides and it was the same story. Lots of sand and mud in the axel. I frequent the sand dunes at least twice per year along with one jeep jamboree and some trails here and there. I think this is a common thing if you play in the mud and sand.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sand and dirt destroy axle seals really easily. Take a handful of sand in your hand and add just a little water. Rub your hands together at 25-80mph and imagine if you were a rubber seal, what it would do. You need to get some external axle tube seals to prevent dirt and mud from entering your axles if you want to continue to play in the mud puddles and sand. Once that stuff gets into your diff, it'll destroy your axle seals, bearings, locker and possibly destroy your entire axle due to failure. If I was you' I'd buy some seals to have on hand, a few gallons of diff fluid and learn to swap those out on your own if you don't know how already. Dealerships charge $$$$ to do that service and you could safe yourself a good bit of jeep mod money.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys. I'm sure it's and easy job for an experienced jeeper but the most I've done is breaks and install an aftermarket air filter. Messing with axles makes me nervous. If I get the thing torn apart and can't figure it out I'm stuck in my driveway without a vehicle and I'm out in the country!
How would I check my diff fluid to know if it's low or not?

Quick Reply: Sand and leaking axel seals