Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Sand Tips

Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Ben
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
Ben, you are the man...I learned alot from your breather thread (thanks) and hope to try it soon. However, on this thread...I DO have a stick, and I still DONT KNOW about my gear, the previous owner did several mods and he may have, I dont know. But, ....."Those of us who do have to use 4 lo if we are ever offroad in almost any situation..." seriously? you HAVE TO USE 4lo in ANY SITUATION. I see Mustangs driving around on public beaches from New Jersey Massachusetts to Florida, sure they get stuck parking in the deep soft stuff all the time. But, in this case this guy is talking about surf fishing on a public beach and he didnt list any mods. I have heard a lot about automatics overheating in general maybe that is the case here. But I have seen everything from stock to extreme tooling around the beach in 2wd alongside Ford Focuses. Unless this guy is fishing on the most hard-core public beach in the world, I would think he would be ok without 4lo. But I am a weird person who likes to use my 4wd once I am already somewhat stuck in 2wd. In this case, I could be totally wrong, I would love to do so wheeling with you though brother I am always trying to learn.
I am laughing out loud at the "most hardcore public beach" comment. Okay, you got me point taken. Maybe not every single situation, but i do seriously keep it there a whole lot. For example, yesterday I was driving down a section of road that we had engineered and checking the curb. I had my head out the window and was watching the curb on the driver's side, then turned around and did it again for the other side. (Not open to traffic yet.) in 1st gear I was having to stay on the brakes to go as slow as I wanted. I was using the brakes to the point that the motor was about to stall and thought this is ridiculous, so I just put it in 4lo and second and idled at about the right speed to see what I needed without touching brakes or gas.

I am happy you liked my breather post!
Old 11-09-2008, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

I work on a beach in the summer in Delaware putting out Umbrellas and chairs and we drive a f-250 and we put the tires down to 20-25 PSI and keep it in 4H and didnt have any problems .
Old 11-10-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a good sand driving laugh yesterday.. We went to Saint Augustine beach and dove down for a mile or so,, about half mile from the South end inlet we parked and walked down.. Mostly because we wanted to walk, but a little because I have my tires at 40psi for better gas mileage on the road and have yet to buy a compressor. Still I could have made it at least another 1/4 mile without airing down.

As we were just walking into the darker more shelly sand about 1/4 mile down, a guy in a Saturn Vue pulls right up next to us. I look at my wife and say "That's not good".

He sits there for a moment debating whether to continue on or not. He tries to go forward and his obviously street only tires start to spin, it seems it was not an AWD Vue either as only the front ones spun. So he decides to back out, but for some reason he decides to turn his wheels instead of backing straight out. He sinks. Only about 4 inches, but the Vue seems to have about 3 inches of ground clearance

They list them with 7.8 inches, I don't believe it.

Seeing as I didn't have any tow straps with me,, (Yeah, I know, I need to get some and carry them always. I'm hoping to get some for Christmas) I just keep walking down the beach...

There was a lifted Jeep Cherokee about 100 yards down the beach with a winch on the front. (and a cool window sticker that said "H2 recovery team" ) I figured I would say something to him.

Before I got there the Cherokee notice he was stuck and headed back to help him.. I continued to walk down the beach a little further with the wife and when she stopped to look for shells, I headed back toward the Vue.

By the time I got there the Cherokee had backed him out of the darker shellier soft sand back to the normal hard packed beach sand. I talked with the owner of the Cherokee for a couple minutes, the driver of the Vue thanked him, then the Cherokee drove away. I decided to make a smart comment, figuring he's out he might see the humor, that he could have always waited for high tide and when it went out to sea report it stolen

The wife had shown up and we started back toward our JK.. about 50 yards down the beach I looked back and the owner of the Vue, instead of backing straight back to a wider area of the beach, he tried to turn around right there and backed, toward the ocean, right back into the soft sand again.

Apparently the Cherokee driver noticed at some point also, because just as we got back to the JK the Vue was going past to the ramp to get off the beach. As we left the Vue was up in the parking lot with the driver looking over the underside of his baby.

Last edited by hig4s; 11-10-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It helps to make sure ESP is turned off since the added load of braking can make the trasnmission work harder by shifting to accomodate... happened to me when i first got my JK and hit the beach.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:39 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert
I got a hummer stuck bigger than S#@t back in the first Gulf war and still remember how much fun it was taking turns on the shovel - E-tool actually cause the hummer mounted shovel was mounted under the back and it was buried. I got mine stuck trying to free another one that was stuck - the other one had a trailer and we were both basically screwed. I ended up using one of those signal mirrors that I mainly used for shaving (& just in case) to flag down a passing helicopter they circled then dissapeared. A company of marine LAVs showed up about 15mins later and drug us out. Props to my bros in the Corps! I owe a company of LAVs a cold one or I might still be out there somewhere.
Pure awesome.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

I know this is an old post, but for the sake of those doing a search, here goes. I learned most of this less than a month after my used purchase and 15-20 minutes after hitting the beach. I have an 09 JKU automatic, so some of this wont apply to manuals. After much research it seems the general consensus is to air down to 15-20 psi as a starting point. I would say the posts above agree with that. Use 4L. '07-'11 auto's will overheat in 4H unless travelling 25-30 mph. Related to that, get an auxillary transmission cooler. The stock cooler is mounted to the a/c condenser and is tucked behind a cross-member and the front bumper. It is undersized and gets almost zero airflow. You can also turn your a/c on to force the cooling fan to come on. I believe 4L automatically turns ESP off, so that's covered. Also, turn O/D off. More than a little late to help the original question, but hopefully useful info to others. You can find more related info by searching this and other forums for "hot oil".

Quick Reply: Sand Tips