Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Shovel, axe, and machete setups.....post what you got

Old 07-03-2015, 10:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay so the goodies came in today and here's what I have so far...

The axe I had ordered turned out to be too long to try to fit in on the tailgate along with the fire extinguisher. Had the fire extinguisher not been mounted I the tailgate, a 24" axe fits perfectly on there. A quick trip to home depot produced a perfect substitute, the Fiskars X11 2.3lb. 17" axe. Since this is exactly what I have for splitting small bbq pit logs at home, I know it's a good axe so there's no hesitation to carry this instead of it's big brother. The axe comes with a molded plastic guard with a handle. The handle was cut off to fit the tailgate a bit cleaner and to cut down on the space it occupied...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150703_224848.png
Views:	1211
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	616911

To mount the components on to the tailgate, I used 2 Super Quick Fists, part #20020 and 2 Original Quick Fists part #10010. These were ordered off Amazon and they're really inexpensive. The tricky part was finding a way to secure the Quick Fists to the tailgate. In the past, I've used rubber well nuts with pretty good success...

Name:	ForumRunner_20150703_225607.png
Views:	1056
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	616914

The problem this time was that in the past, they've been used to secure rigid components such as amplifiers but the Quick Fists are made of a hard rubber which has a bit of flex. The flexing of the rubber well nut compounded with the flexing of the Quick Fists made for a secure but very flimsy mount. Next option was to use rivet nuts. That idea was quickly crossed off the list since a few of the mounting points were going to go into two layers of sheet metal, making it near impossible to install river nuts. Off to home depot I went again. The best solution I could find were these...

Name:	ForumRunner_20150703_230330.png
Views:	1236
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	616916

After testing these on a piece of scrap sheet metal and confirming that they did indeed provide for a strong, sturdy, secure hold, the project continued. Once everything was properly mocked up and marked off where the Quick Fists were going to end up, it was simply a matter of drilling the tailgate and screwing in the Quick Fists using the butterfly screws.

Name:	ForumRunner_20150703_230719.png
Views:	3249
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	616917

The quick fists hold both the axe and fire extinguisher super firm. I have all the confidence in the world that neither will come out unless one wants them to. They latch extremely secure and the rubber grips whatever you put in there so that it cannot move at all. During the mock up, I decided that I will be mounting the shovel to the tire carrier instead and the machete fit perfectly in the rear storage compartment. The extra space on the tailgate can be used for other stuff as the need arises. Hope this helps some of you out and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lulu2533
Looks good. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you
Old 07-06-2015, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Here is my setup - I wanted something cheap, simple, changeable, out of the way, and secure. Velcro! Decided to mount everything on the roll bars so they're inside the Jeep and away from the items in my trunk. Looks convenient having everything mounted on the inside tailgate but I usually keep my freedom top panels or ski gear in the back and don't want them banging against the tailgate gear.

Picked up some $3 velcro straps and mounted the shovel and hand axe on the left side, and strapped the fire extinguisher on the right. Also used some $1.50 u-bolts, $2 muffler clamps, and wing nuts for the hi-lift jack. Nothing moves, wiggles, or makes noise so I couldn't be happier. Easy to use too in case anything bad happens everyone knows how to work velcro.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9tf2EXF.jpg
Views:	5130
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	617101  
Old 07-06-2015, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

I love my smittybilt molle pack, I did have to replaced all the hardware with stainless zip screws. I have my recovery gear, gloves, straps, etc in the bags, then used 1" Velcro strips to hold my ax & mag lite, and small bungee cords to hold my first aid kit. If I need it in an emergency it's easily removed

Jack is mounted to rollbar using "U" bolts above the seatbelt bolts, keeping it high, shovel mounted using quick fist clamps, two bolted together, one on Jack handle one on the shovel handle. 2nd Fire extinguiser is mounted to rollbar with Velcro strips also, main extinguiser mounted to the front seat.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by °IIIII°
I love my smittybilt molle pack, I did have to replaced all the hardware with stainless zip screws. I have my recovery gear, gloves, straps, etc in the bags, then used 1" Velcro strips to hold my ax & mag lite, and small bungee cords to hold my first aid kit. If I need it in an emergency it's easily removed

Jack is mounted to rollbar using "U" bolts above the seatbelt bolts, keeping it high, shovel mounted using quick fist clamps, two bolted together, one on Jack handle one on the shovel handle. 2nd Fire extinguiser is mounted to rollbar with Velcro strips also, main extinguiser mounted to the front seat.

That's a pretty cool setup. Where on the front seat did you mount a fire extinguisher to?
Old 07-08-2015, 04:12 AM
JK Newbie

I made a simple bracket that screwed to the side of the seat

The extinguisher mounts better if its twisted out of the locking pin

Old 07-08-2015, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a maglight mounted there but I might reconsider remounting that somewhere else and doing this. Keeping that extinguisher handy is more important than the flashlight. Had actually been thinking of moving the flashlight up on the sound bar in between the two speakers. Thanks for the idea!!

Quick Reply: Shovel, axe, and machete setups.....post what you got