Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Snatch block and D-rings

Old 03-23-2014, 04:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoysRig
One of the things people fail to realize is that the more line you have out the fewer layers there are on the winch spindle. This provides more pulling power with fewer layers on the winch.
I was under the understanding that the more line out from the winch you would actually have reduced the pull capacity of the winch?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM12
I was under the understanding that the more line out from the winch you would actually have reduced the pull capacity of the winch?
If you look at the manufacturer's specs they will tell you how much current and speed based on pull and then how much pull the winch has depending on how many wraps on the drum. They usually go from 1 to 4 wraps.

Here is a link to a Zeon 10s

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_10-S.shtml

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited by espi; 03-23-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Fewer wraps mean a single turn of the winch pulls less line. That means more force. Too bad you're not correct, however, because by extension larger tires would give us more torque and better gas mileage! LOL.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're backwards. Sure you pull less line as line goes out, but you're getting a smaller spool, changing the gearing.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Fewer wraps mean a single turn of the winch pulls less line. That means more force. Too bad you're not correct, however, because by extension larger tires would give us more torque and better gas mileage! LOL.
Ok makes sense. So to maximize your pull you should start with most of the line out.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok makes sense. So to maximize your pull you should start with most of the line out.
Yes thats another benefit of a snatch block. It not only doubles your pull but lets you run down fewer wraps. Down side is slower speed.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Ok, this thread is the very reason I do not read the entire thread. There is another use of the snatch block, which may have been or not been mentioned. Off set pulling. If you can't get a direct line (single pull or use of snatch block), you can use it to pull from a different direction. Did this with two snatch blocks once. The guy was around a outcrop of rock and we couldn't risk getting to him. We got the rig close enough, unspooled, laid out the line, connected up with tree straps and had this "zig zag" of winch going. It's a pulley. Use it accordingly.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

you guys should really read up on snatch blocks, if you have/use them.

So the more rope that is out on your winch, the more pulling power (closer to its capacity of 9k, 10k, whatever) as long as you have a couple wraps around the drum.

using a snatch block at the anchor and running the line back to your bumper will create a double line pulley system doubling the pulling power to 18k, 20k, etc.

linky below or look at warn/arb whatever.

SCHOOL OF RECOVERY «
Old 03-24-2014, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Originally Posted by lkjk
you guys should really read up on snatch blocks, if you have/use them.

So the more rope that is out on your winch, the more pulling power (closer to its capacity of 9k, 10k, whatever) as long as you have a couple wraps around the drum.

using a snatch block at the anchor and running the line back to your bumper will create a double line pulley system doubling the pulling power to 18k, 20k, etc.

linky below or look at warn/arb whatever.

SCHOOL OF RECOVERY «
Adding to this: the snatch block, when running a line from the winch, to the block, back to the jeep, will only undergo the same force that the winch is putting on it. The line would, at this point, be under half the load as it would have been if it were directly attached to the winching point, as is the winch. The link that was included with the controversial diagram is referring to the fact that, since you can pull twice as much when using a snatch block, the snatch block is under twice as much force as the winch or the line. So, one should keep the weight of their rig, the pulling capacity of the winch, and the load capacity of the line in mind when purchasing a snatch block. It is recommended to use a snatch block that is rated for 2x the working load of the winch, which is recommended to have a working load of 3x the weight of the rig (because when you're stuck, your rig puts the winch under much more force than the pound-mass measurement of your rig due to friction, and when in mud, suction).

p.s. I got the information about using a winch that has a capacity 3x the weight of the rig from the very informational "Vehicle Recovery Bible" found here. Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive

p.p.s. Don't flame me because I don't have a winch. I understand physics, and I'm a Mechanical Engineering Major in my 3rd year, and this does hold water.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Gforce!
Adding to this: the snatch block, when running a line from the winch, to the block, back to the jeep, will only undergo the same force that the winch is putting on it. The line would, at this point, be under half the load as it would have been if it were directly attached to the winching point, as is the winch. The link that was included with the controversial diagram is referring to the fact that, since you can pull twice as much when using a snatch block, the snatch block is under twice as much force as the winch or the line. So, one should keep the weight of their rig, the pulling capacity of the winch, and the load capacity of the line in mind when purchasing a snatch block. It is recommended to use a snatch block that is rated for 2x the working load of the winch, which is recommended to have a working load of 3x the weight of the rig (because when you're stuck, your rig puts the winch under much more force than the pound-mass measurement of your rig due to friction, and when in mud, suction). p.s. I got the information about using a winch that has a capacity 3x the weight of the rig from the very informational "Vehicle Recovery Bible" found here. Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive p.p.s. Don't flame me because I don't have a winch. I understand physics, and I'm a Mechanical Engineering Major in my 3rd year, and this does hold water.
being a mechanical engineer, I think you would know a snatch block does not hold water. Cups do. And yes, before you correct me, I know a sentence shouldn't end with a preposition.

Quick Reply: Snatch block and D-rings