Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

So, I'm an idiot and got my new JK stuck yesterday. Lessons and questions.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Divided_Wood
Even with my dumb mistake of using the clutch underwater? Didn't know that was bad either. It runs just fine and doesn't look too dirty through the vent in the bell housing, so maybe I just lucked out. Had me puckered a bit for sure.

This is what im concerded about. ive dont this b4
Old 08-05-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a cheap lawn sprinkler and let it run under the jeep for a few hours. The mud will eventually drop off.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Gonna give that a try later this evening. I'll post a pic if I can get everything all cleaned up.

Also, last question: if I were to have an issue with the clutch after shifting in water, how quickly would I know? Is it something I'd see/feel right away or would it just cause wear much faster? If it's the latter then I'm not too worried, just more wondering. Thanks for all the patience guys.

Edit: And I'm back. Got super paranoid before bed so I went and checked the front/rear diff fluid. They were both a greenish color--is this normal? Keep in mind it was dark and I was using a flashlight but I'll probably take another look tomorrow anyways. Any other fluids I should check? Want to make sure I do everything I can here to prevent any problems down the road. Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited by Divided_Wood; 08-05-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your diff oil is probably okay, as looking at the picture of your stuck, you were not that deep. You would probably have got through it with mud tires. On the other hand, better tread can let you get even further into the trail and deeper in trouble.

Sometimes if one is out driving around and sees an interesting path off the road on public land, it is hard to resist not breaking the "don't wheel alone" rule. Your mind is thinking "where does that go?" along with "I am in a Jeep!". I have been guilty of doing that several times (and got lucky). Nowadays I am at least more cautious if there has been much rain.

Unless the clutch starts making noise or slipping, I would not worry about it. It appears to me you may not have been in deep enough to submerge the clutch.

Last edited by Yankee; 08-06-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yankee
Your diff oil is probably okay, as looking at the picture of your stuck, you were not that deep. You would probably have got through it with mud tires. On the other hand, better tread can let you get even further into the trail and deeper in trouble.

Sometimes if one is out driving around and sees an interesting path off the road on public land, it is hard to resist not breaking the "don't wheel alone" rule. Your mind is thinking "where does that go?" along with "I am in a Jeep!". I have been guilty of doing that several times (and got lucky). Nowadays I am at least more cautious if there has been much rain.

Unless the clutch starts making noise or slipping, I would not worry about it. It appears to me you may not have been in deep enough to submerge the clutch.
I think that's pretty much exactly what happened. I was just out driving and enjoying the countryside, and saw those few pulloffs that I just couldn't resist. Had I not been an idiot and decided to (attempt to) ford that large puddle I think I'd have been okay. It's easy to get caught up in the "I'm in a Jeep!" mentality--who knew it could be so irresistible?

Good to hear about the fluids though. I had another 20 minute drive to work today and haven't seen any issues with the clutch. I may check the diff oil again to see in the daylight, but who knows. Is a little bit of water in there a huge deal, if there is? I'm just not sure what color the fluid should be in the first place.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

winch winch winch. get one and you wont need new tires or a lift or a butt buddy to pull you out. keep having fun in your jeep, don't let one lil ooops moment make you a complete pansy. wheeling solo can be one of the best experiences there is
Old 08-07-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
winch winch winch. get one and you wont need new tires or a lift or a butt buddy to pull you out. keep having fun in your jeep, don't let one lil ooops moment make you a complete pansy. wheeling solo can be one of the best experiences there is
Well, it's always good to wheel with someone else, for fun and for issues were you can't get a wench onto something to pull you out, ya I know that's not always the case, but it can happen. And I agree wheeling alone is fun.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you get the pull pal land anchor you can winch yourself out. Dam thing is almost $500 though. It's on my list to get though.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

D.W. if you ever need someone to go Jeepin' with let me know!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always end up wheeling alone so that's the reason bumpers and a winch were my first upgrade. I avoid the mud because it gets in everything including the frame rails and you can never get it all out causing it to rust from the inside out. I get stuck a lot on the rocks though and my winch has gotten me out of trouble many times. Maybe if I wheeled with someone that could spot me on the rocks I wouldn't get hung up so much? You will get stuck again just be prepared. Your clutch will very likely be fine and as you probably know by now you can start in gear with the transfer case in L4 range to avoid using the clutch in mud. Have fun in that Jeep. It's the most fun vehicle you will ever own.

Quick Reply: So, I'm an idiot and got my new JK stuck yesterday. Lessons and questions.