Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

So much going through my head! HELP LIFT MY JEEP!!!

Old 06-23-2015, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So much going through my head! HELP LIFT MY JEEP!!!

Hey guys,

Question 1:
I'm getting ready to lift my 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Sport. I've pretty much decided that 4" is what I'd like. Keep in mind, I don't do any extreme off-roading. I want a lift kit mainly for aesthetics but I want it to be something that I can take off-road every blue moon. I am looking for a 4" lift that is durable and can definitely handle going off-road, won't give me problems every 1,000 miles, and maintains some comfort as I do a ton of highway driving. Also, I'm looking for something that will need 0 modifications to the Jeep. I like the 4" OLD MAN EMU complete lift because it seems to meet all my needs but a lot of people are saying that the it's not very durable and for the price I could get something much better. Do you guys recommend anything?

Question 2:
I also need some wheels and tires. I think I like 35" tires. I'm looking for large aggressive looking tires that will fit with no modifications with a 4" lift. Keep in mind, I do a lot of highway driving and don't want to be popping Aleve every 20 minutes as a result of a headache. I understand that big tires are never going to be quiet but do you guys know of any big aggressive tires that are relatively quiet. Any recommended wheel and tire combos?

Question 3:
I'd prefer to use the stock tire carrier, I've read so much about this and I just want a solid answer lol. Some people say that a 35" tire will not fit, some say that it will fit but will break the carrier. Once again, I really don't do much off-roading and if I do off-road, it's very weak stuff. Like basically driving up and down grassy hills lol. The only bumps I am really hitting are the common pot holes of Cleveland, Ohio.

Any info you guys can give me is extremely appreciated and theres a million things I'm so confused about. I really don't know much at all about lifts so be patient with me lol. You start losing me when you talk about long arm and short arm...I don't think I'm looking for a super complex lift. Just something that's direct bolt on, comfy, durable, and looks good. It doesn't have to be able to drive over buildings

Thanks a lot guys!!!

OH! One more thing, If I have been reading misleading posts about the stock tire carrier, what is the largest I can fit without pushing the carrier to its limit. Also, what is the largest tire that will fit on a 4" lift on the Wrangler Unlimited.

Last edited by WranglerBoss; 06-23-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok what do you consider 0 mods for the 4" lift? How much money are you looking to spend on a lift alone and everything that's pretty much going to be necessary for a 4" lift (driveshafts, flip kits, etc)? Why a 4" lift unless your just wanting to go high just to do it (did you own trucks before) or is a 4" lift just aesthetically pleasing to you?
Old 06-23-2015, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

I would look at the trail grappler or Goodyear wrangler duratracs.

Also yes a 35" can fit on stock carrier with some adjustment of the bumper but it's tight fit and your going to wear your tailgate out (hinges, welds on the inside of the gate). I would look into a standalone carrier that opens with the gate like a Crawler Conceptz carrier.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Ok what do you consider 0 mods for the 4" lift? How much money are you looking to spend on a lift alone and everything that's pretty much going to be necessary for a 4" lift (driveshafts, flip kits, etc)? Why a 4" lift unless your just wanting to go high just to do it (did you own trucks before) or is a 4" lift just aesthetically pleasing to you?
Thanks for the quick reply! Basically, I'm looking for a direct bolt on kit. I want something that will fit just like stock and something that will allow me to reinstall stock if the time ever comes to do so. I'd like to stay below $1,000 on a lift. I just think that 4" looks great. I do own a F250 but those are high from the factory. Would I have to replace the driveshafts? If I get an aftermarket tire carrier, would the bumper still need to be adjusted?
Old 06-23-2015, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any lift over 3" is going to require a new front driveshaft. 4" is overkill for 35s.

I'd go 3" Teraflex coil lift (it will yield you about 4") with exhaust spacers, then check the d/s clearance. If there's still contact get an aftermarket front d/s.

A 35" will fit on the stock carrier, but it's the weight that's the damaging issue, not just the size. Over time it will warp your tailgate, even just on pavement. Teraflex hinge carrier would be an easy bolt-on replacement, or like mentioned a body mounted tire carrier that opens with tailgate.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Auto?

What is your gearing ( did you get the tow package) if you are in 3.21 look into new gears. with 3.73 you can get away with the 34-35 inch light tires (watch the weight and rating). in fact with our D30, really really watch the weight on the tire and wheels together, as the rolling weight on the Axle can cause havoc. get the Cs gussetted at a minimum.

I run with 3.73 in my sport with 315/70R17 goodyear Duratracs on a 2.5 inch lift. They are pretty quiet. officially 34" tires and come in about 33.5 on my jeep but fit into the "35 size category" ...

35 fits on a stock carrier ( a dealership is putting 35s on the stocks with 2.5 lifts on the lot ), the main thing is the weight on both the tire mount point and the hinges.
The sheetmetal around that tire mount point isn't great, and the tire mount it self is only ok. honestly the Teraflex tailgate hinge and mount is OK for me, but they had a lot of criticism on the mount area where there were some instances of breaks, and you can hear the sheet metal flexing when you move the slam the 5th door closed, but I have had it over 2 years now and haven't had an issue, and trust it a lot more than the stock.

Are you installing, or having others do the work? 4" lifts that are worth it get complex quickly. Draglink flips, all the arms, trackbars, brakelines, etc. Also consider if you are towing and hauling weight, you might want new brakes.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by WranglerBoss

Thanks for the quick reply! Basically, I'm looking for a direct bolt on kit. I want something that will fit just like stock and something that will allow me to reinstall stock if the time ever comes to do so. I'd like to stay below $1,000 on a lift. I just think that 4" looks great. I do own a F250 but those are high from the factory. Would I have to replace the driveshafts? If I get an aftermarket tire carrier, would the bumper still need to be adjusted?
Your not getting any 4" lift done properly for less then $2000 much less $1k. Honestly I would like at a simple 2.5" lift with shocks from teraflex, RK or Metalcloak. Or a budget boost with new shocks or just a budget boost.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Your not getting any 4" lift done properly for less then $2000 much less $1k. Honestly I would like at a simple 2.5" lift with shocks from teraflex, RK or Metalcloak. Or a budget boost with new shocks or just a budget boost.
I'd be doing the work myself so deduct labor. I can go over $1000 but I'd prefer to stay around $1k. If anything over 3" will need a new front driveshaft then I'll go with 3" to keep stock.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by WranglerBoss

I'd be doing the work myself so deduct labor. I can go over $1000 but I'd prefer to stay around $1k. If anything over 3" will need a new front driveshaft then I'll go with 3" to keep stock.
Yea I was talking about just the parts alone. I wasn't including labor in my price estimate.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Yea I was talking about just the parts alone. I wasn't including labor in my price estimate.
Well crap lol

Quick Reply: So much going through my head! HELP LIFT MY JEEP!!!