Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Some More Talk About Jks & Snow

Old 12-21-2014, 10:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Some More Talk About Jks & Snow

OK, so this is my "real" post and I have read a handful of related threads...here are my questions/scenarios:

..but first some background

-'11 JKU, have brand new rubi wheel/tire takeoffs (BF MTs)
-Jeep has only seen some rain and nothing close to offroad yet (winter or otherwise)
-Avid snowmobiler, hunter, outdoors stuff, etc.

My questions...

-For driving backcountry logging/forestry roads in really bad winter conditions or chasing the snow to snowmobile, how bad of shape am I with current MTs?

-(if the first answer is I am screwed ) then what would be ideal setup?

I don't really offroad just to offroad (its fun, and not knocking that) but is usually happens as a result of me needing to get into remote areas. drive through a blizzard to find some good snowmobiling, etc. and really don't want to get myself in a bad spot due to poor setup.

Any thoughts welcome, thanks again guys

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141116_133350.jpg
Views:	1554
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	588581

Last edited by JeepJK4; 12-21-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I still have the stock wheels/tires on my Rubicon. They are great on the roads that are still unplowed, but almost useless on ice covered roads. I have to be very careful with stopping distance on ice.

As far as going into the woods in snow, I won't go in as a single vehicle. It's too easy to get stuck just when you think all is going well. And that is true no matter what tires are on the Jeep.

So, in my opinion, my stock tires are great on snow covered roads; they suck on icy roads; I don't trust them, or any other tires for that matter, when in the snowy woods and on snowy woods roads, without having another vehicle or two in the area.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:54 PM
JK Freak

The tires that come with the rubicons are M/T's, mud terrains. They are good in mud and should actually do well in deep snow as long as there isn't ice underneath it. A/T, all terrains, have siping which gives snow/water a place to go and allows the tread more flex increasing traction. Snow tires are a different rubber compound which sticks very well in cold conditions.

With that being said, my recommendation is use your BFG rubicon take offs (M/T's) but go to your local tire joint, Les Schwab, Discount Tire, etc and have them sipe them for you. Should run you $10-$15 a tire and will make a significant difference in your winter traction. With siped tires you will wear them out fast if you corner hard, if your drive easy the siping will actually help your tires last longer from the heat dispersion. Usually with big knobby mud terrains you only want to sipe the center tread and leave the edges solid - this helps prevent pieces of the tire from chipping away from cornering.

I run M/T's (Toyo open country) that are siped and I'm an avid snow boarder and snow shoer. We get a lot of snow here in the Northwest (in the mountains) and I haven't had any issues with my set up so far. I've also run Duratracs, they are a great all around tire for places that get snow. From your description of what you do, next time I would highly recommend you check out the Duratracs.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock rubi tires r almost a hazard in winter. At first winter tires were just an extra expense I couldn't swing. First year I had my jeep slid down sideways on a sloped road into oncoming traffic and was a foot way from being taken out by a semi. Next day got winter tired with studs. Yes pricy but not as much as my new born son growing up without a dad. Blizzards , forest roads , etc I'm way you safer.
Get chains to compensate for the smaller tread on winter tires and then you can handle some powder too.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I air down to around 10psi. I don't have snow chains just yet but some day... also bring a shovel... I like going up in the snow, its a different kind of four wheeling. Unlike mud where you are trying to clean out your tires you want to be easy on the skinny pedal. Its easy to bury yourself to the axels if you aren't.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I run my BFG mts as my winter tires. I just had the safety siping done and have had no problem on any road conditions. I drive unplowed roads on the way home from work and rarely use 4x4. Air pressure and a shovel will go a long way as well.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All Terrain tires would be much better than Mud tires.

On ice, no naked tire really grabs.
On snow, what gives grab/friction -- odd as this may sound to you -- is the snow that's packed in the tire grooves.
Packed snow creates much more friction on snow, than rubber does.

For that to happen, the grooves have to be wide enough to form a large enough packed snow surface. If the grooves are too wide, the packed snow would not keep in place and fall out -- and that happens with mud tires.
Most All Terrain tires have about the right size groove width and groove area for snow.
Sipping also helps, when the road/trail are wet.

And yes, going with a single vehicle is asking for trouble.
Also make sure you got recovery equipment and a good battery (if not two).
After a few parking hours, a less than perfect battery which got pretty cold, may not start.

Last edited by GJeep; 12-28-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cedarraider
I run my BFG mts as my winter tires. I just had the safety siping done and have had no problem on any road conditions. I drive unplowed roads on the way home from work and rarely use 4x4. Air pressure and a shovel will go a long way as well.
The fact that you manage with MTs, doesn't mean that they are the best choice for snow.
Comparison of similar Jeeps, but with with MT vs AT (of the same size), would show the advantage of AT on snow, in a variety of snow conditions and in emergency maneuvers.

Last edited by GJeep; 12-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

I've found thy my rubi M/T's are ok of you can get into unplowed snow. However on packed roads they do slide more than A/T's I've run in the past... Lucky I have tones of back roads and go in way before traffic starts moving.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
The fact that you manage with MTs, doesn't mean that they are the best choice for snow. Comparison of similar Jeeps, but with with MT vs AT (of the same size), would show the advantage of AT on snow, in a variety of snow conditions and in emergency maneuvers.
Where did he say MT's are the best tire for snow? He simply stated his good results with having his MT's siped - no need to discredit his statement.

Your post on the other hand - having snow packed in your tread is not a good characteristic of a snow tire

From GY's website "the aggressive tread on a winter tire REDUCES snow build up"

A huge part of what makes a good winter/snow tires is rubber compound and lots of leading edges (similar to siping)
Most tires become very hard when the temp drops. This plus large solid lugs is no good.

Here's one of the best automotive snow tires around. Notice all the siping type lugs to allow flexibility and edges to create friction?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2837781080.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	589458  

Quick Reply: Some More Talk About Jks & Snow