Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Spare parts for off roading?

Old 04-21-2016, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know where to get the bushing online, without paying several times the p rice of the bushing for shipping? One site wanted $2.40 for the bushing, and $18 for shipping.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 16FW
Does anyone know where to get the bushing online, without paying several times the p rice of the bushing for shipping? One site wanted $2.40 for the bushing, and $18 for shipping.
I would try going down to your local jeep dealership and seeing asking for them or maybe they would be willing to order them in for you that way they will cover shifting costs. It's mopar part #68064273AB
Old 04-21-2016, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slctid
I would try going down to your local jeep dealership and seeing asking for them or maybe they would be willing to order them in for you that way they will cover shifting costs. It's mopar part #68064273AB
If i wasn't so far from the dealer, that would be a great idea. I have to take it in for service in the next few weeks, I guess I can get a couple then.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Those are $6 shipped from eBay. Those are something I've looked at buying but in 5 years and 130k miles now, I've not needed one. If you're shifting it correctly then you shouldn't need one, it should just slide into gear. I pay zero attention to how the manual says to do it and go worth what's the quietest transition between gears.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Those are $6 shipped from eBay. Those are something I've looked at buying but in 5 years and 130k miles now, I've not needed one. If you're shifting it correctly then you shouldn't need one, it should just slide into gear. I pay zero attention to how the manual says to do it and go worth what's the quietest transition between gears.
I have always shifted correctly. I couldn't tell you how the previous owner treated it. But in the year and a half of wheeling I've been doing it everything is done correctly. The plastic bushings are pretty weak though. And for how cheap and small they are it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drive Shaft

I'v been throwing around the Idea of putting one in the back. But I'v seen more axle shafts break than Driveshafts on the trail. There are some hardcore guys that have freaking welders in the back of their Jeeps. I'm not saying go that far but it doesn't hurt to bring extra stuff.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 16FW
I found a great source, $2.34 and free shipping. I just ordered some.
68064273AB Bushing Chrysler | eBay

I also got a spare front U-joint from Quadratec.

I went wheeling this weekend on the "easy" trail at an offroad park, and drove into a deep mud puddle. About 1/3 of the way across I got stuck, the mud was almost to the top of my tires, and they were just spinning with both axles in lock. I had some waders, so I got out, and slogged to the front, and pulled the winch cable to a tree. I was alone, so I just put the jeep in gear and let the wheels spin at idle, and walked along with the door open and started the winch. When it finally started to get traction, I stopped the winch, and flipped the shifter to neutral.

I have known for a long time that wheeling alone was a bad idea, but this really reinforced that
Old 04-25-2016, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Dang, what a bad situation. Glad you were able to make it out all right. Best thing to do is take bad situation and use it as a learning experience. It happens to the best of us. Now you'll be better prepared for next time. 👍🏾

Quick Reply: Spare parts for off roading?