Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Steel cable winch line

Old 11-22-2014, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Synthetic is stronger but when the synthetic line breaks it's much much safer. However when the mechanical device on the end of the synthetic line breaks it becomes far more dangerous than what a steel cable to produce. I work with synthetic winch cables everyday that are rated at roughly 40k lbs or more. When the rope breaks it's much safer, on the other hand we use steel cables to move around 31 ton shields that have never failed yet.

Last edited by RavenZ33; 11-22-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by countrydude1992
That's not true at all. Nearly everyone that gets synthetic rope uses it multiple years. You can wash it to get the dirt out of the line. Just squeeze bits together to open up the weave a bit, like a Chinese finger trap.
This is on the warn winch manual.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-626964739.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	585332  
Old 11-22-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
Well then they are just trying to suck even more money out of their customers. Aside from improper care and/or improper use, there is no reason someone should need to replace the rope every 12 months.

But hey, you can never be too careful when it comes to recovery equipment.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:18 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by countrydude1992
Well then they are just trying to suck even more money out of their customers. Aside from improper care and/or improper use, there is no reason someone should need to replace the rope every 12 months. But hey, you can never be too careful when it comes to recovery equipment.
if your jeep see's enough dust not even washing the line will clean it out all the way. But yes you could never be to careful!
Old 11-23-2014, 01:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RavenZ33
Synthetic is stronger but when the synthetic line breaks it's much much safer. However when the mechanical device on the end of the synthetic line breaks it becomes far more dangerous than what a steel cable to produce. I work with synthetic winch cables everyday that are rated at roughly 40k lbs or more. When the rope breaks it's much safer, on the other hand we use steel cables to move around 31 ton shields that have never failed yet.
There's no risk, as long as all the metal parts (including the anchor points on both vehicles) are rated well above the max' load of the rope, and there are no sharp angles - edge to edge - between the two vehicles.

When pulling (or even stretching out), synthetic ropes should be shielded from rubbing against hard soil, rock or wood, or they may by worn or even melted by heat accumulated from pressure & friction.

In fact, it's not a bad idea to protect steel cables too from such friction, and to avoid sharp angles.

Synthetic and steel are different in their "sensitivities".
In very low temperatures, a steel cable becomes more brittle. At very high temperatures, it's the other way around -- touching a hot exhaust pipe would melt a synthetic rope.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-23-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
That's about the equivalent of Castrol telling you to change your oil every 3000 miles.

I could see it with really hard and frequent use, but if you use it just a few times a year, no way would I replace it that often. Warn will make out great with this, though. The mark-up on the replacement synthetic line is ridiculous. IF they were $100, or south, then I could see it not being too bad a deal.

I have had my winch for two years, maybe 3. I've used it to pull maybe 3 or 4 times. No way I'm replacing it yet. It still looks and feels new. I worry more about UV rays, the way I use mine. I soak it periodically with 303 protectant.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

I like steel because it's is easy to maintain and takes a lot of abuse. I keep an Indian blanket in my jeep that serves multiple purposes including placing on my cable so it won't let the cable sling shot.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:21 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by ade
Not seen many 1,000,000+ lb ships held in the docks with steel cable.
Good point. Has to do with weight of line, ease of handling, resistance to shock load, and resistance to corrosion.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:35 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Mschneid
Watch that again kids. That was an attachment point not cable failure...but...see how fast that cable came back? Now take into count that the video should have been titled 'famous last words of a Redneck-Hey ya'll someone hang onto my beer and watch this'.
When any rigging fails of any type for any reason there isn't any time to duck away.
If you're going to use it someday maybe it shouldn't be permanently on the front bumper. Only takes a few minutes to run a safely stored steel or synthetic cable to a recovery anchor point and attach to the winch drum. Quicker than unspooling from drum to said anchor point.
Whatever...looks good on drum
Old 12-06-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ade
Not seen many 1,000,000+ lb ships held in the docks with steel cable.
I work at Newport News Shipbuilding in Va. Every aircraft carrier moored at our piers is held there with steel cable. Our rigging department uses steel pendants and wire rope for 99% of their rigging. I work in the test department and do quite a bit of load testing and everything I have seen has been wire rope.

I think the important thing to remember is, whichever type of line you plan on using you need to inspect it on a periodic basis and know its limitations.

Last edited by JDM74; 12-06-2014 at 04:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Steel cable winch line