Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Steel cable winch line

Old 11-21-2014, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel cable winch line

I've read about all of the reasons synthetic winch line is better and safer than steel, and that all sounds great on paper. But has anyone actually seen a steel cable failure during a recovery? I see heavy duty tow trucks doing heavy duty recoveries on daily basis with my job and I have never seen one of their steel which cables fail. Perhaps they're using heavier duty line?

Just look at the Warn Zeon winches. The 12,000lb Zeon only comes in steel cable. Same goes for the new Platinum model.

I'm debating which to go with since I've never needed a winch yet, but want one just in case! when I need it, its not like I can run home and get it! but since I don't plan on using it very often I like the idea of not having to do constant maintenance on the steel cable.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tow truck cable and things like that are much heavier duty than your typical winch steel cable. Warn's standard 10,000 pound cable is ⅜" and I've seen trucks with steel cable well over and inch thick.

Steel cable however can be stronger than synthetic which is why you don't see it often in the heavier category winches. But you can definitely find it.

To me, the benefits of synthetic far outweigh the steel cable. And yes, unfortunately there have been numerous incidents involving steel cable snaps. It requires frequent maintenance if you use it regularly, and even if it's a once in a blue moon thing, you still want to check to make sure there are no frays or rust spots.

Steel cable has no stretch to it like some synthetics do. If you put too much pressure on it too quickly, you break it.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flomingo
I've read about all of the reasons synthetic winch line is better and safer than steel, and that all sounds great on paper. But has anyone actually seen a steel cable failure during a recovery? I see heavy duty tow trucks doing heavy duty recoveries on daily basis with my job and I have never seen one of their steel which cables fail. Perhaps they're using heavier duty line?

Just look at the Warn Zeon winches. The 12,000lb Zeon only comes in steel cable. Same goes for the new Platinum model.

I'm debating which to go with since I've never needed a winch yet, but want one just in case! when I need it, its not like I can run home and get it! but since I don't plan on using it very often I like the idea of not having to do constant maintenance on the steel cable.
I've seen steel cables fail, twice. In one case, the driver was lucky to have the hood opened (a good safety measure), because it was hit hard.
In both instances the steel cables were somewhat worn and rusted, and had been used quite a few times over a few years.

You may have not seen a tow truck cable fail not only because they're thicker, but also because they probably replace the cables in time.

The problem with steel cables is more in the driver than the cable.
Lets say we didn't use it for 3 years. How often did we pull it out all the way, to check it?
No problem if it was in a dry desert region. If it was on wet & humid region, on salted roads, inner layers may be quite corroded.

When we see some wear or rust, we tend to postpone replacing the cable - "Ah, it isn't that bad, and I'd probably not use it for another year anyway".

I like the idea of not having to do constant maintenance on the steel cable.
Synthetic, too, isn't completely maintenance-free, or rather 'protection free'.
It can deteriorate if not covered to keep it out of direct sun (more so in hot climate, and even though it's supposed to be UV filtered), and to keep it clean from dirt, mud or salt.

With some types of soil chemistry, when the soil dust gets wet, it may harm synthetic fibers.

After those 3 years of no use, the synthetic has a better chance not to fail. If it does, it's not a killer.

I’m not sure you need the Zeon 12. The Zeon 10 or 10S may be all you need. A hitch block doubles its power, if needed.
I really don't see the point off putting that much unused weight (Zeon 12, especially with steel cable) at the front.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-22-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I plan on getting the 10-S, but I was just curious about the steel line... good info, thanks!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

My steel cable on my ATV winch (Warn 3500lb) wore out and broke due to going up and down many times with the snow plow. It broke where the roller was going back and forth on it. It took years, but I still was surprised. I'm not sure a synthetic cable would fare better or worse with the same kind of use. Of course, it would be used with a polished aluminum hoss fairlead, so maybe quicker. Not sure.

I went with synthetic line on my Engo winch for two reasons. 1. Safety, and 2. lighter weight.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi

You have to replace your synthetic line every year because dust gets inside the line and weakens it!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I kept a winch cover on my synthetic and didn't bind it too tightly when reeling in, and it still looked like it was getting mold in it and was starting to look buggered, so I swapped it for 5\16th steel.

It's more difficult to use, but I wear leather gloves and keep it kink free, does fine for everything I throw at it on my 10.5k recon.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
You have to replace your synthetic line every year because dust gets inside the line and weakens it!
That's not true at all.
Nearly everyone that gets synthetic rope uses it multiple years. You can wash it to get the dirt out of the line. Just squeeze bits together to open up the weave a bit, like a Chinese finger trap.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1NnL83UpuQ
Old 11-22-2014, 02:34 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by countrydude1992
Steel cable however can be stronger than synthetic which is why you don't see it often in the heavier category winches. But you can definitely find it.
Not seen many 1,000,000+ lb ships held in the docks with steel cable.

Last edited by ade; 11-23-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Steel cable winch line