Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tips for driving in the Sand?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nealxam
(You do NOT want to run out of gas on Padre Island for a number of serious reasons)
Next time I go there, I'll have two 5 gallon cans in addition to a full tank.
That's funny right there....LOL...

60 miles is a looooooong way to hoof it, specially at night. If the coyotes don't get you (four or two-legged) the cucuy just might......

I would not, repeat NOT, want to run out of gas on PINS. That place is the wild west at night. The last big Jeep gathering, there were a few that camped at about the 40mm. I camped at the Best Western.....LOL.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:53 AM
JK Junkie

All great info.
I live bayside and work surfside, so this will all come in handy. Only been in thick sand in a borrowed Durango, and only to go fishing at San Luis Pass, but could easily see that it's important to keep going!
I'll try more of everyones advice once I get the jeep back.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

hammer down and don't stop on the upslope
Old 03-27-2010, 12:39 PM
JK Jedi

I know it's a different breed of sand, but in the Nevada desert you can definitely get stuck in the sand if you don't follow the air down / keep up speed idea.

I've seen people carry carpet squares to shove under the wheels to help them get back up on top of the sand. I've also seen people use their floormats the same way. A square of carpet also provides a pretty good base to keep a HiLift from sinking into the sand and doubles as picnic spot to put your sammies so they don't get full of sand.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll be in OBX in a few weeks.
Has anyone drove on the sand and not aired down? My Sahara unlimited is 100% stock (with 18s). I believe my air pressure is around 38psi. My question is how do you all air back up once you leave the beach? Should I purchase one of those portable air compressors? What are you guys doing?

- Chris
Old 05-13-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ctsw20
I'll be in OBX in a few weeks.
Has anyone drove on the sand and not aired down? My Sahara unlimited is 100% stock (with 18s). I believe my air pressure is around 38psi. My question is how do you all air back up once you leave the beach? Should I purchase one of those portable air compressors? What are you guys doing?

- Chris
We will be going out to OBX in 3 weeks, and I can't wait.
Not sure what the other guys here are doing while out there, but from talking to people there are air stations near the beach. Also, driving a short distance, with your tires aired down, to a gas station shouldn't be a problem, if you need to.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pseacraft
Pretty much Ditto what DXBJeep stated. Most of the offroading here is sand dunes. See the link in my signature for some online video clips of our playgrounds that I have made as I learn about sand.

Momentum is your friend in the sand. The beauty of a Jeep is that you can just float over the sand most times where others will need to power their way through. Gear selection and throttle control. Sand is similar to snow in many respects.
Slightly off-topic but I must say that is an incredible video. What a great way to start the day while the sand is nicely packed and the heat lamp isn't too high. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Do y'all with manual transmissions prefer First or Second when wheeling in soft sand?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

As far as being in OBX you might want to buy a portable air compressor. It can get a little expensive to air up your tires there. Some places near duck and corolla can cost as much as $ 5.00 to air up all 4 tires. Been there done that. learn my lessen to bring a compressor, plus you will not need to drive on paved roads with tires aired down. I drove with stock tires are up at 35psi and almost got stuck in soft sand. I aired down to 20psi in 4 hi and had more fun and no problems. Now the least expensive place to air up is on rt 12 at a gas station / market near the end of corova thats past duck and corollaand the light house, it only cast $0.75 for a fill but you only get to fill two tires at a time. When you bring your on compressor you will not have to worry about the condisation that the fill station have. to test push the air plug on the end of the hose and you will see water squirt out. that is bad.

hope this helps
Old 05-20-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mud Yuppee
As far as being in OBX you might want to buy a portable air compressor. It can get a little expensive to air up your tires there. Some places near duck and corolla can cost as much as $ 5.00 to air up all 4 tires. Been there done that. learn my lessen to bring a compressor, plus you will not need to drive on paved roads with tires aired down. I drove with stock tires are up at 35psi and almost got stuck in soft sand. I aired down to 20psi in 4 hi and had more fun and no problems. Now the least expensive place to air up is on rt 12 at a gas station / market near the end of corova thats past duck and corollaand the light house, it only cast $0.75 for a fill but you only get to fill two tires at a time. When you bring your on compressor you will not have to worry about the condisation that the fill station have. to test push the air plug on the end of the hose and you will see water squirt out. that is bad.

hope this helps
Great information. Leaving in about 2 weeks.

Question: I've just finished, well almost, my offroad trailer, and was wondering what everyone thought about driving it on the sand. Should we also air down it's tires? It basically will just be taken to our house, and left there until we leave.

Originally Posted by bluesteel
Do y'all with manual transmissions prefer First or Second when wheeling in soft sand?
What does everyone think about this?
Also, should it be 4 High or 4 Low?

Quick Reply: Tips for driving in the Sand?