Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tips for driving in the Sand?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

air down, 4 high, have fun
Old 05-20-2010, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

I think i saw another post where you were planning on renting a house through Twiddy? They have their own air pumps at the check in house in Carolla where you get your keys. When you return to the pavement they have groups of kids (assuming family of the awesome folks who work there) who will air you back up like you were at a pit stop. But we should really stop talking about this place that supposedly exists........Hee-hee. OBX August 2010
Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Air down, 4HI, keep momentum up. And hose zippers and channels when removing or adding soft top panels, sand can be evil.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on do not slow down going up an incline you will sink to your frame in no time...

me and silverfreak were playing at an off road park and I wanted to see how easy it was to get stuck in sand... very easy...

I did learn to keep on the throttle and not to turn sharp going up an incline.

And will also keep in mind a previous point made about watching ruts filled with water thats is a great point.

To bad Bear Grylls doent have a JK I bet he could save us all
Old 06-11-2014, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Default I know everybody knows this now

I know this is an old post, but for the sake of those doing a search, here goes. I learned most of this less than a month after my used purchase and 15-20 minutes after hitting the beach. I have an 09 JKU automatic, so some of this wont apply to manuals. After much research it seems the general consensus is to air down to 15-20 psi as a starting point. I would say the posts above agree with that. Use 4L. '07-'11 auto's will overheat in 4H unless travelling 25-30 mph. Related to that, get an auxillary transmission cooler. The stock cooler is mounted to the a/c condenser and is tucked behind a cross-member and the front bumper. It is undersized and gets almost zero airflow. You can also turn your a/c on to force the cooling fan to come on. I believe 4L automatically turns ESP off, so that's covered. Also, turn O/D off. More than a little late to help the original question, but hopefully useful info to others. You can find more related info by searching this and other forums for "hot oil".

Most of my experience is driving in deep, soft sand near Carolina Beach and Ft Fisher, NC. I agree with some others, start off slow, avoid wheel spin, coast to a stop, it's easier to drive in established packed ruts, make gradual turns, try to stop pointing downhill, bring a jack platform and a shovel, don't count on others to have a strap to pull you out, jumper cables are nice if you leave a door open (or off) or the stereo on all day.................

Quick Reply: Tips for driving in the Sand?