Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Which Unlimited to get? Jeep Newbie! I need an awesome Jeep! Please help

Old 03-06-2015, 04:19 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is one modded Jeep on the planet that wasn't built, wheeled, modded again, wheeled more, modded again, wheeled more while the owner was deciding what to mod next. Enjoy the bug.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ade
I don't think there is one modded Jeep on the planet that wasn't built, wheeled, modded again, wheeled more, modded again, wheeled more while the owner was deciding what to mod next. Enjoy the bug.
Yes, I've been there too. I went wild with the previous Jeep -- replaced the coils with air springs. They beat progressive coils by a large margin.
But, there's a 'but'... it's a complicated system. I didn't have any problem with it, but in principal, more complicated equals less reliable.
This time, with the Rubi, I decided to go 'KISS'. Nothing went on the Jeep without thorough examination of options and true functionality, and, for the first time, I felt there's nothing I'd change with this Jeep.

Then... I wished I took the FOX driver-adjustable shocks instead of the FOX reservoir shocks that can be adjusted only by the FOX lab... maybe I'll do it.

Apart from that, it seems that by now 'there are more mods than a Jeep', and I wouldn't change a thing.

This may give the OP some ideas which would satisfy the urge to modify, while holding up with the wheels & suspension... :
(The chart isn't updated, some thing should be 'yellow')

Click image for larger version

Name:	# - Modds - UPDATED 2014-10-12 – JPEG.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	600077

Last edited by GJeep; 03-07-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drewfit
Hey guys, just looking for some help on what unlimited I want to get. I keep reading about them but need help from actual owners point of views. I am in phoenix, AZ and want to get into the off road fun in the near future. First I need to learn about the expenses, what vehicle fits me and make sure I'm not bitting off more than I can chew. As for spending limit, I have about 23,000 that I can put up front(including my trade) and would be willing to take a 10-14k loan for extra if needed. This will be used as my toy to go everywhere and a family vehicle around town. Thanks everyone!
I agree with the others that a Rubi unlimited is a great option. If you shop, you can find on in your price range. I live in Phoenix as well. I was able to get Rubi manual, with hardtop as only option, last year from local dealer for $32-33k (plus tax and tags). Took a while find. I found a couple of out of state dealers that offered what I wanted as a backup.

Also if you are looking for a shop to do some mods in Phoenix, I have used Total Auto Pros. Went to the directly, but they do lifts for on of the local dealers. I had them do lift, re-gear, axle gusset, and install stereo. They do quality work. Price and time quoted is fair. Worked with Gregg.

PM me if you want details on dealers or shop.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I agree with the advice to "wheel it stock" and figure out the Jeep's capabilities, I still believe there is a large population of new Jeep owners that fall in love with the lifted Jeeps they see running around town.

I wouldn't put off living that dream just to "learn your rig", so I'd start smaller and do it cheaper to minimize the wasted money when you choose your next level of build. Given your situation, I'd start with a Rubicon model. Then I'd throw on a inexpensive spacer lift, pick out some nice 17" wheels, and add 35" tires.

That's not a very big investment, you'd improved the ground clearance of the vehicle without going extreme, and the look will turn the heads of everybody lucky enough to see it. I'd also skid the oil pan, relocate the evap, and gusset the Cs. That would make a very nice starting point to "learn your rig" and there would be very little wasted money if you decide to upgrade in a different direction later.

Last edited by JohnDF; 03-07-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Something to consider with bigger tires

If you get the Rubi and don't get the manual (with 4.10s). You might want to just stick with the auto and 3.73s when you buy it and then upgrade later to 4.56 when you put the new 35s on. This will offset cost of you decide you want more that 4.10s with the new tires. Big tires are nice, but without the right gears they turn your jeep into a slug.

I ran 4.10 with manual and 35 for about 3 months. Tried to convince myself it was okay but couldn't
Old 03-08-2015, 01:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
Big tires are nice, but without the right gears they turn your jeep into a slug.
I ran 4.10 with manual and 35 for about 3 months. Tried to convince myself it was okay but couldn't
When I switched to 35"s, I intended to re-gear the auto Rubi from 4.1 to 4.56 .
Drove with the 4.1 for a while and tried to convince myself that re-gearing is needed, but couldn't...
I really tried!

Months of driving on/off road, showed me that I don't really need the extra torque, so the 4.56 would have increased engine rpm for no reason.
To each his own
Old 03-08-2015, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
When I switched to 35"s, I intended to re-gear the auto Rubi from 4.1 to 4.56 . Drove with the 4.1 for a while and tried to convince myself that re-gearing is needed, but couldn't... I really tried! Months of driving on/off road, showed me that I don't really need the extra torque, so the 4.56 would have increased engine rpm for no reason. To each his own

I have heard Auto is more acceptable/workable with 4.10. Manual is not if you want to go offroad
Old 03-08-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
I have heard Auto is more acceptable/workable with 4.10. Manual is not if you want to go offroad
There are lots of opinions... I wouldn't say that "Auto is more acceptable/workable with 4.10" .
The difference between 4.1 and 4.56 is just about 10%, which is not enough to make a meaningful difference between auto and manual.

If I concentrated on serious rock crawling, I may have taken the 4.56 . My offroading includes some tough obstacles, and occasional challenging rocks when they are on the way, and the 4.1 works just fine for me.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
There are lots of opinions... I wouldn't say that "Auto is more acceptable/workable with 4.10" . The difference between 4.1 and 4.56 is just about 10%, which is not enough to make a meaningful difference between auto and manual. If I concentrated on serious rock crawling, I may have taken the 4.56 . My offroading includes some tough obstacles, and occasional challenging rocks when they are on the way, and the 4.1 works just fine for me.
In a manual it sucks . When I said workable/acceptable, I meant that auto gears are a different. That is why they put 3.73 in auto Rubi and not manual. I just prefer more grunt in my billy goat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-173245400.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	600269  
Old 03-08-2015, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

By WHT_JKUR
In a manual it sucks . When I said workable/acceptable, I meant that auto gears are a different. That is why they put 3.73 in auto Rubi and not manual. I just prefer more grunt in my billy goat
My Rubi came with 4.1 as standard.
What was the table for? -- it recommends the same gearing for auto and manual... :

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEARING - Table - 3.6L Pentastar.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	600281

BTW, re-gearing a goat wouldn't get more grunt out of it... fitting a goat with an aftermarket exhaust would...

Last edited by GJeep; 03-08-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Which Unlimited to get? Jeep Newbie! I need an awesome Jeep! Please help