Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Which Unlimited to get? Jeep Newbie! I need an awesome Jeep! Please help

Old 03-05-2015, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Unlimited to get? Jeep Newbie! I need an awesome Jeep! Please help

Hey guys, just looking for some help on what unlimited I want to get. I keep reading about them but need help from actual owners point of views. I am in phoenix, AZ and want to get into the off road fun in the near future. First I need to learn about the expenses, what vehicle fits me and make sure I'm not bitting off more than I can chew. As for spending limit, I have about 23,000 that I can put up front(including my trade) and would be willing to take a 10-14k loan for extra if needed. This will be used as my toy to go everywhere and a family vehicle around town. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you mechanically inclined?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by drewfit
Hey guys, just looking for some help on what unlimited I want to get. I keep reading about them but need help from actual owners point of views. I am in phoenix, AZ and want to get into the off road fun in the near future. First I need to learn about the expenses, what vehicle fits me and make sure I'm not bitting off more than I can chew. As for spending limit, I have about 23,000 that I can put up front(including my trade) and would be willing to take a 10-14k loan for extra if needed. This will be used as my toy to go everywhere and a family vehicle around town. Thanks everyone!
Way to little of info for us to help u. That's like asking us which mattress is best for u. What type of wheeling do u want to be in? Do you know how to wrench? What size tires do u wanna run. If u plan on no bigger than 35's or maybe 37's and like rocks but don't wanna change out some parts get a rubi and have someone installed some sleeves and c gussets and go have a blast. If your end game in bigger than 37's get a base and upgrade parts. The rubi tcase is pretty much only good for rocks as its mostly to low for sand and mud. Shoot some more info at us
Old 03-05-2015, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced

Way to little of info for us to help u. That's like asking us which mattress is best for u. What type of wheeling do u want to be in? Do you know how to wrench? What size tires do u wanna run. If u plan on no bigger than 35's or maybe 37's and like rocks but don't wanna change out some parts get a rubi and have someone installed some sleeves and c gussets and go have a blast. If your end game in bigger than 37's get a base and upgrade parts. The rubi tcase is pretty much only good for rocks as its mostly to low for sand and mud. Shoot some more info at us
Gotcha. I want 35s and I look towards rock and being to do anything in the snow in the winter time. I am not the most mechanically inclined person, if work needs to be done, I would probably have someone else do it who knows how. I would love to learn though.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Gotcha. I want 35s and I look towards rock and being to do anything in the snow in the winter time. I am not the most mechanically inclined person ...
Any stock Wrangler can play on the rocks and in the snow, though tires are a limiting factor on the less expensive models. A Rubi is better equipped for more difficult trails--better tires, lockers, 4.0:1 transfer case, etc. Since you're not a mechanic, suggest the Rubi. Run it stock for a few trips into the off-road world. Get a feel for what it can do, and that will guide you towards smarter decisions on future mods for more demanding trails.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Gotcha. I want 35s and I look towards rock and being to do anything in the snow in the winter time. I am not the most mechanically inclined person, if work needs to be done, I would probably have someone else do it who knows how. I would love to learn though.
Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Any stock Wrangler can play on the rocks and in the snow, though tires are a limiting factor on the less expensive models. A Rubi is better equipped for more difficult trails--better tires, lockers, 4.0:1 transfer case, etc. Since you're not a mechanic, suggest the Rubi. Run it stock for a few trips into the off-road world. Get a feel for what it can do, and that will guide you towards smarter decisions on future mods for more demanding trails.
I agree with Mark and also suggest getting a rubicon. Your budget can afford a JK Unlimited Rubi for the family space and because it has Dana 44 axles, it can handle 35s without thinking of swapping axles. The rubicon also can come with 4.10 gears (rather than 3.73) which would be very beneficial for 35" tires later down the line. If you plan on running bigger tires, I would highly suggest getting the 4.10s or you might be looking at $1000-$1600 regearing bill from a shop. They sway bar disconnect and lockers are a huge selling point too. I imagine once you take a stock rubicon and learn what everything is for/get the hang of things, you will be very happy with the new family Jeep/play-thing

If you've got any more questions, throw them up
Old 03-06-2015, 03:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that a Rubi would suit you.

In addition to what has already been said --

Beginners sometimes tend to mod their Jeeps too early and too fast.
This leads to mods that aren't ideal for ones' later specific needs, or to mistakes. Both lead to replacing some mods = frustration and unnecessary expanses.

Joining an offroad club and driving with more experienced offroaders would speed up your learning curve.
Your confidence in your Jeep and yourself will grow much faster.
While out there with other drivers, watch their driving and their Jeeps' behavior. You can learn a lot from it -- Why did one driver cross an obstacle easily and smoothly, while another driver had difficulty with the same obstacle. What was the difference in the driving? Did the tire type make the difference? - and so on.

The stock Rubi capabilities are quite impressive. I'd suggest gaining experience with it as is.
The only mods I'd do would be skid plates, and maybe (frame mounted) rock sliders at the sides, and getting some basic recovery gear, such as a shovel, straps, shackles.

Take it slow & easy... in time, you'll get a better ides of what you need/want.
e.g.: What suits me better -- 4" lift and 35" wheels, or 2.5" lift and 37"s?
You may develop a passion for a specific offroading type, and different offroading types may call for somewhat different mods.

Last edited by GJeep; 03-06-2015 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure gjeep meant
4" lift and 37's
2.5" lift and 35's
Old 03-06-2015, 04:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ikaros
4" lift and 37's
2.5" lift and 35's
I think he was trying to say what would suit me more: LCOG and bug tires? Or smaller tires and no belly dragging? I run 5" of lift on 35s and love it, I don't drag nearly as much.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ikaros
4" lift and 37's
2.5" lift and 35's
Ah... I think he said what he meant to say...

Let me clarify:
That was just an example for one of the OP future considerations.
For 4-dr, the most common combination is 4" lift and 35"s.
There's also the approach of gaining about the same height by larger wheels and less lift (2.5" & 37"s).
There are other options, of course.

(A Rubi with 4.1 gear ratio and the 3.6L engine handles 35"s just fine.
37"s require more mods, re-gearing for instance.)

Last edited by GJeep; 03-06-2015 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Which Unlimited to get? Jeep Newbie! I need an awesome Jeep! Please help