Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Upgrades

Old 09-21-2014, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrades

Hey all!
I am a new 2014 JKU owner as of January. Finally getting around to doing some upgrades to my baby. I have read some posts on some stuff but wanted to customize a thread of my own to get some advice.

What I am looking to do:
---2"- 4" Lift...not sure which yet but thinking an AEV.
---35" tires...haven't researched much at all but want some that will ride smooth on the road but also do fine off road.
---Bumpers...Aluminum XHD bumper from Rugged Ridge
---Striker...Rugged Ridge Double X Striker
---Winch...No idea

How I will be using my Jeep:
---I would say that 85% of my Jeep riding is city & highway use and 15% off-road use. I live in Tampa, FL so when I do take it off-roading its not going to be rock crawling or anything too, too serious. My goal is to get a lift and tires that will still be a good ride on the road, since that will be the majority of my driving, but to also perform without any problems off roading. Money isn't really an issue so I'm not just trying to find a cheap way to do things but I also don't want to be spending big bucks on stuff that I will never even put to its potential. I appreciate any advice from knowledgable, experienced jeepers or people who have had any of these upgrades on their jeep, thanks! =)
Old 09-21-2014, 10:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just cut the fenders and throw 35's on and you'll be fine. If you really want a lift, look into the synergy 2" or rock Krawler 1.5" both will allow you to run 35s just fine. Budget boosts will work also. You start getting into the 4" range and you are going to have to replace a lot more components and spend a lot more money.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah that makes sense. I really am only considering the lift more for looks than off road use I suppose. Its hard to a jacked up jeep and not want to do the same to yours!
Old 09-21-2014, 03:43 PM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D-Post. This is strictly a "I've got more money and time invested in my jeep than you" kind of thing.. I'm taking this one day at a time.. and there are a few here and there that's not to totally sure I'm doing the right thing.. after all it is my thing.. so yeah cut your fenders.. plasti-dip your rims.. get those 35's etc.. Me, I'll take this nice and slow and do things as they develop.

Currently working on installing a poly coil spacers with sway bar drop brackets.. and no we aren't doing a 2 or 3 inch lift.. more like altering the plan just to get a 1 inch out of it.. Mind you the spacers measure 2 inches.. I mean sure we might see a bit more than 1 inch.. but at least we are currently on target with our plans.

It's sort of a wait and see attitude.. if you get the heavy bumpers winch etc.. then you will need to think about a suspension system.. new shocks and tires just to support the weight.. and always save left over parts, just in case you change your mind..
Old 09-21-2014, 04:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

45 days of wheeling a year is quite a bit. I would think in Florida you would be looking into a wide mud terrain tire which is really not a great type of tire if you are doing a lot of highway use for comfort,longevity, and mpg's. Have you considered two sets of wheels? One for DD and one set for off road.

I would concentrate your search on tires and once you decide on those then modify/lift accordingly.

Good call on aluminum bumpers to keep the weight down and I would also look into synthetic lines on the winch you choose for the weight savings and safety.

Good luck on the build.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:03 AM
JK Super Freak

You forgot the most important part, armor. If you plan to do it right and money isn't a worry then protect the Jeep before it gets damaged. Front/rear control arm skids, HD dif covers, C gussets, axle tubes/truss, HD trans/engine skids, stainless brake lines, HD bj's, higher gear ratio, should all be at the top of your list first. Then after that go ahead with your big wheels and tires ect. A 2.5" lift will look nice when paired with flat fenders and 35's, it's exactly my 5 year plan and also performs just as we'll as it looks. Research research research.

Quick Reply: Upgrades