Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Using an auto in 4Lo

Old 06-11-2014, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, turn o/d off. It will eliminate the searching and unecessary shifts.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

If your in 4lo it's there for a reason you wanna be in control of your vehicle. Going down especially wanna relay on the motor to slow u down. If u break n there lock or slide u gonna be at the bottom of a cliff or in a tree in a hurry...
Old 10-18-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

If you live where it is snowy, find a safe EMPTY hill and play. Going DOWN an icy hill in 4-lo is bad. Gravity will make you slide faster than the tires will roll and you will have no control. Go play and learn your rig. Start on easy stuff so if you mess up, the consequences are nill.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CerOf
If you live where it is snowy, find a safe EMPTY hill and play. Going DOWN an icy hill in 4-lo is bad. Gravity will make you slide faster than the tires will roll and you will have no control. Go play and learn your rig. Start on easy stuff so if you mess up, the consequences are nill. Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Yes but the engine braking will work much better than the actual brakes on an icy surface, how else do you recommend going down an icy hill slowly?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cormac827
Yes but the engine braking will work much better than the actual brakes on an icy surface, how else do you recommend going down an icy hill slowly?
The problem becomes too MUCH engine braking. You end up sliding and lose steering.
What I found works is 4-hi and use first/second/ and even neutral if you have to. Now, a non-rubi JK may be fine in 4-lo. With the 4:1 I had ZERO control going down an icy hill.

Going up is a no issue.

If we get more ice this year I'll try and grab a video.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting how many opinions are surrounding this. Here's the simplicity of it. Your rig has 2 or 4 WD. It has high and low range. It also has brakes, some have lockers. Use them in any combination to negotiate an obstacle accordingly, safely and successfully. Depending on terrain, how steep of a hill, etc., you may want to use 4 Lo. You may use hill descent control as well. It really comes down to either going out with experienced people and learning or goi g out on your own and learning.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CerOf
The problem becomes too MUCH engine braking. You end up sliding and lose steering. What I found works is 4-hi and use first/second/ and even neutral if you have to. Now, a non-rubi JK may be fine in 4-lo. With the 4:1 I had ZERO control going down an icy hill. Going up is a no issue. If we get more ice this year I'll try and grab a video. Sent from some string and a few tin cans.

Hmmm interesting.

We get a tonnnn of snow, but not sure
I have ever compared lo and regular going down icy hill. Usually I go low because I like having control going down hills.

In my old auto- 4lo was too fast down hills.

I should be able to test in a few weeks or so. I will compare the same descent in 4lo vs 4hi and see what I can get it to do!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cormac827
Hmmm interesting. We get a tonnnn of snow, but not sure I have ever compared lo and regular going down icy hill. Usually I go low because I like having control going down hills. In my old auto- 4lo was too fast down hills. I should be able to test in a few weeks or so. I will compare the same descent in 4lo vs 4hi and see what I can get it to do!
again, there are too many factors to determine to just use one range go descend a slope.

Factors
Tires
Wet snow or dry snow?
Grade?
Snow over ice?
Studs in tires?

All these and a few more points determine your choice of navigating down an "icy" hill. Old school actually states to leave in 2wd as it allows your front tires go steer with more traction. The concept is to have two free wheeling tires in contact in case gravity takes over, you can then brake as needed.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

My advice was for an ice covered hill. No snow. Just ice. I agree with 2wd. This one hill I play on dead ends at the bottom. You need the 4wd to pull yourself one way or the other at the bottom or you'll slide right up someone's driveway.

Quick Reply: Using an auto in 4Lo