Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

What do you recommend for waterproof gear storage on a hitch rack?

Old 12-15-2016, 08:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

The clear one From the container store has a gasket, but the black one does not. They are not in the same league as the pelican cases, but they work for me. Can't submerge them underwater but they keep things dry from rain.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I have that dewalt box and can verify that it is water proof. it says its 23-some inches but that is because of the lip and hinges. The base of it is actually 20 inches and would fit in your 21 inch hitch rack. I have a pro series 24x60 cargo hitch rack and i can fit this and a 48qt cooler on it perfectly. plus it has channels to run tie down straps and metal rails that you can lock it down with. plus the pull out handle and wheels make it easy to move around a camp site. I use mine to throw misc camping gear in on camping/wheeling trips. seeing that you said you have not purchased the rack yet, maybe consider going 24x60, the one downside of the hitch mount carriers is that you cannot open the tailgate once its one. that specifically why i got eh 24x48 and this box because I still ahve room to fit a cooler and all the backpacks and blankets and light stuff can get thrown into the back. FWIW.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11707552_10204548690663549_3046178708016378891_n.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	662894
Old 12-15-2016, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jobber Jim
.......don't look like they would seal out wind driven rain.
Whichever box or roof-top bag you get, I'd suggest you double / treble the waterproofing, ie pack and knot the clothes and sleeping bags in black garbage bags. I drove upstate NY though a long blinding rainstorm with a "waterproof" vehicle roof bag --- learned that nothing is waterproof doing 70+ mph in a heavy rainstorm.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Quadratec aluminum hitch basket with waterproof bag that's made for it, and it's great. Drove 6-8 hours in the rain on the highway and our clothes and everything else in the bag was bone dry. Solid investment.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:25 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this talk got me searching again for some fire-sale deals. I literally picked this up a couple of hours ago off of Craigslist. Retails for about $230 on Amazon. I paid nowhere close to that and I could most likely sell it a year from now and still churn a profit......but I plan on keeping it.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 9.43.46 AM.png
Views:	123
Size:	576.8 KB
ID:	662904

Interior Dimensions (inches): 21.37 x 16.31 x 12.56
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/pro/pro...standard/1620/

It's strong enough that 1 or 2 people can actually sit on it at camp, or you can use it as a table or a foot rest / camp ottoman, or if the situation warranted it you could string 2 of them together and now you have MacGyver'd a raft for the mother of all floods to get you back to safety since they are actually bouyant lol.

For an extra $20-$50, you can get the best (bought used) and be done with it. My 2 cents...

The Pelican 1520's make great waterproof tool boxes. Not too big so the weight won't throw your back out...

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 9.45.40 AM.png
Views:	99
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	662905

The larger ones are great for pretty much everything...

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 9.46.35 AM.png
Views:	98
Size:	442.9 KB
ID:	662906

One can score deals on these all day long especially from videographers, photographers, and computer/broadcasting guys looking to unload....

Last edited by DJ1; 12-15-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

I use those nice waterproof bags mine came from off road solutions that why when i am not using it fits in my recovery box much better
Old 12-15-2016, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just some ideas:

Option 1:
Do you require a hard/ridge type container? Heck run to the Army Surplus Store and buy a new or used duffle bag. Then run to the hardware store and buy "contractor/construction" trash bag. Not the kitchen or lawn type trashbags....contractor. Then place the open trash bag inside the duffle (it will be an inner liner). Then just pack like normal. The duffle bags are already lined (but I would not submerge in a pool) but the trash bag will keep water out. This is good because when you get to where you are going and setup, your "storage container" will not continue to take up unused space.

Option 2:
recommend buying a container with a hinged lid. not the tote box still where you store Christmas lights and the whole top is removeable. Containers with a hinged lid will also have a lip and seals better and not shift around as much as a removeable lid. Not only that but it sucks trying to keep removable lids from "wondering" off. Water would have to "make its way" under, the lid, up, then back down. it is impossible, no..but difficult. Then you could line the top edge with "window insulation" for an even better seal. Another advantage is the box is sturdy enough to use as a small table, foot rest, seat, etc.

Option 3:
lay a folded tarp over your box/container in a way that it covers the top half of the container. then use bungee cords to wrap it "length" wise. Then when you get to were you are going, you have a tarp that doubles as a shade, flooring, etc.

Last edited by sclan; 12-15-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all of you who responded with really great suggestions. Especially to "casamtb" who clarified the true base dimensions of the Dewalt tool chest. I can now verify that it will fit on the hitch rack I'm getting for Christmas, along with my small cooler. With a handle and wheels, I'll be able to haul my gear down a game trail a 1/4 mile to my campsite. My secret fishing spot is very remote and hard to get to but has some great trophy size brown trout. I agree with "westchester" and "sclan" that doubling or trebling up the garbage or contractor bags will keep my sleeping bags and clothes dry. Thanks for that input.
Going to my local Home Depot to pick up the Dewalt and some contractor bags this weekend. I priced those dry bags and they get pretty pricey for the size I need for sleeping bags. Since I only make this fishing trip twice a year, it doesn't warrant the cost.
Thanks to all of you and have a happy holiday.
Jobber Jim

Quick Reply: What do you recommend for waterproof gear storage on a hitch rack?