Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

What the F#&K am i doing wrong????

Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the F#&K am i doing wrong????

Hey y'all

ive got the warm m8000, great winch!

I've had it for a year now and probably have used it bout 15-20 times.

It's got a 100ft steel cable that has got kinks, small metal hairs at one point sticking out and gets twisted ALL the time. I'm pretty sure i've got to get a new line soon.

my questions is, am i doing something wrong. whenever i use it i've got to stop, get out, let out some of the line, and reel in the cable while guiding it with my hand cuz it always winds up on only one side and jams, or loops and winds in getting kinked on the drum.

is there something i'm missing.

ps-im probably going with synthetic with the new cable just cuz i've herd winching is not as much of a hassle!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Keep about 500 lbs of pressure on the line while spooling in. that should help ya out
Old 04-09-2011, 10:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you unspool it and rewind it under load initially? Saves the cable from getting damaged. But most of what you describe is the nature of the beast. With that many pulls on it...it's expected. Great product though. Go Warn

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 AM
JK Freak

let me know if you want a new steel cable, I burned my first winch and I just got my new one yesterday. I got a brand new cable and one almost new and roller fairlead.

JL

Originally Posted by mikegp
Hey y'all

ive got the warm m8000, great winch!

I've had it for a year now and probably have used it bout 15-20 times.

It's got a 100ft steel cable that has got kinks, small metal hairs at one point sticking out and gets twisted ALL the time. I'm pretty sure i've got to get a new line soon.

my questions is, am i doing something wrong. whenever i use it i've got to stop, get out, let out some of the line, and reel in the cable while guiding it with my hand cuz it always winds up on only one side and jams, or loops and winds in getting kinked on the drum.

is there something i'm missing.

ps-im probably going with synthetic with the new cable just cuz i've herd winching is not as much of a hassle!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
Did you unspool it and rewind it under load initially? Saves the cable from getting damaged. But most of what you describe is the nature of the beast. With that many pulls on it...it's expected. Great product though. Go Warn

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
yes i did the first pull under load like he manual said. i guess it's just how steel goes.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackjkrubi
let me know if you want a new steel cable, I burned my first winch and I just got my new one yesterday. I got a brand new cable and one almost new and roller fairlead.

JL
thx for the offer , if i was going to get another steel cable, i would have definitely taken you up on the offer, but i'm prob buying synthetic this time.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Every time you unspool you need to be sure your spooling back in with a good amount of tension. Not just the first time.

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arasco85
Keep about 500 lbs of pressure on the line while spooling in. that should help ya out
500 lbs of tension! Any tips on how to accomplish this?...aside from hooking up to Rosie O'Donnell...
Old 04-11-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

I used a tree in the yard and applied some brake...
Old 04-12-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Tree, another car, etc

Set parking brake a few clicks and away you go. Will take some time to guide it. Helps having a friend to do small steering inputs

Quick Reply: What the F#&K am i doing wrong????