Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Whats the safe way to connect a tow strap to a vehicle without recovery points?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the safe way to connect a tow strap to a vehicle without recovery points?

Is it safe to place a small choker chain around the vehicle frame and then use a d-ring to attach to the strap or is that a no no? Also, are all recovery straps strechy? I have a 20 year old 30' recovery strap that is 2" wide. I bought it 20 years ago and hardly used it and now I can't remember anything about it.

Troy
Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by troyboy
Is it safe to place a small choker chain around the vehicle frame and then use a d-ring to attach to the strap or is that a no no? Also, are all recovery straps strechy? I have a 20 year old 30' recovery strap that is 2" wide. I bought it 20 years ago and hardly used it and now I can't remember anything about it.

Troy
Not a good move - small choker chain breaks and D-ring become a projectile. You'll be lucky if you come away with only damage to the vehicle and not people.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Notakar
Not a good move - small choker chain breaks and D-ring become a projectile. You'll be lucky if you come away with only damage to the vehicle and not people.
ok, so don't help anyone who doesn't have a recovery point?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

haha yeah...I've pulled out another JK by his axle as it was the only place and messed things up pretty bad. I would also not recommed a 20 year old tow strap. I've seen a tow strap break and its very dangerous to say the least.

But in a pinch if a guys on the trail getting stuck without any recovery points (which he shouldnt be imo) then you can improvise...but beware of the consequences.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's OK to help someone with no recovery points. Just make sure that THEY hook the strap to their vehicle. That way, they can't blame you when you rip their bumper off.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Use the tow strap through it's own loop around the same point you would place the choker chain or use a separate strap (tree strap).

I'd rather spend a little more time stuck than put a hunk of steel through a window and/or skull.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Use the tow strap through it's own loop around the same point you would place the choker chain or use a separate strap (tree strap).

I'd rather spend a little more time stuck than put a hunk of steel through a window and/or skull.
oh ya, a tree strap should work as long as it isn't against anything sharp under the vehicle.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

First rule for going offroad. If the vehicle didn't come with tow hooks buy them and get them installed before going offroading. Without tow hooks or hitch there really is no safe attachment point for the strap.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by genesbro
First rule for going offroad. If the vehicle didn't come with tow hooks buy them and get them installed before going offroading. Without tow hooks or hitch there really is no safe attachment point for the strap.
i think he's asking about helping ppl on the streets
Old 08-31-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by speed2005
i think he's asking about helping ppl on the streets
Perhaps i wasn't clear but I did mean offroad.

Quick Reply: Whats the safe way to connect a tow strap to a vehicle without recovery points?