Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Whats is in your packing list for your Jeep?

Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Signal mirror is toward the top of my list:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2586587493.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	573759  
Old 09-01-2014, 03:47 AM
JK Freak

I've added some stuff since my last post. Some basic tools, zip ties, 48" high lift, my cb, a basic first aid kit (still working on my full kit), Velcro straps, a few tire pressure gauges and the most important thing no one had mentioned... My RC membership cards!!!! Never leave home without them! I'm sure there is more...
Old 10-03-2014, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wondering how complete my list is. It is a bit much, but I have broken it down into categories and some of the stuff is optional depending on what the trip is. No wonder my Jeep (2dr) weighs in at almost 5500#.

Before Trip:
1. Check/Fill washer fluid
2. Check Oil, Trans, Diffs, Coolant, PS fluid
3. Check Tire pressure

Personal gear:
1. ID
2. Pistol
3. Money
4. Hat
5. Cell Phone and charger
6. Spare Key
7. Coins

Personal gear (overnight):
1. Towel
2. Change of clothes
3. Change of shoes
4. Toothbrush and paste
5. Deodorant
6. Blanket

Spares:
1. Motor Oil, 2qts
2. Trans Fluid
3. Brake Fluid
4. Gear Oil
5. WD-40
6. Oil Filter
7. Locktight
8. Extra Gas
9. Water (enough for me and the car)

Recovery Gear:
1. Recovery straps x2
2. Tree Protector
3. D rings x8
4. Snatch Blocks x3
5. Shovel
6. Highlift Jack
7. Jumper cables
8. Sand Anchor
9. Leather Gloves
10. Air Compressor (OBA)

Survival:
1. MRE x4
2. First Aid Kit
3. Multi-tool
4. Fire Starter
5. Knife
6. Flares
7. 2-way radios x2
8. Hatchet
9. Emergency Rations
10. Whistle

Expedition supplies:
1. Bungee Cords
2. Paracord
3. Duct Tape
4. Box cutter
5. Tie wraps
6. Fire Extinguisher
7. Flashlight
8. Cleanup Rag
9. Tarp
10. Screws
11. Coat Hanger
12. Rope
13. Bucket
14. AC Inverter
15. Strap tie downs
16. Climbing Gear, rope, beeners, wedges, webbing, harness
17. Trash bags

Tools:
1. Wrenches
2. Vice Grips
3. Allen wrenches
4. Screwdrivers
5. Sockets
6. Pliers
7. Hammer
8. Electrical Tape
9. Duct Tape
10. Tire Repair Kit
11. Tire Deflator
12. Tire Gauge

Camping (option):
1. Tent
2. Mattress pad
3. Sleeping Bag
4. Coleman stove
5. Gas
6. Frying pan
7. Food
8. Lighter fluid

Food (when camping):
1. Beer
2. Snacks
3. Saturday Lunch
4. Friday Night Drinks
5. Eggs
6. Bacon
7. Bread
8. Salsa
9. Chips
10. Marshmallows
11. Hersheys
12. Graham Crackers
13. Water
14. Monkey Shoulder (Scotch)
Old 10-05-2014, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by castlerockjeep
Signal mirror is toward the top of my list:
One of those comes with your jeep lol
Old 10-05-2014, 07:35 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This list is a bit more extreme than what we carry.. Concerning many of these items are kept in the jeep at all times.. Just change of cloths would be added upon departure etc.. Not sure about all the extra fluids.. seeing how one can readily find these while on the road and only if needed. I think the point is to carry only what you actually need and make things up after your on the road.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

I am looking at adding a shovel and an axe today, I've found some of the smaller ones to mount inside the tailgate at harbor freight. ( I know their stuff isn't top notch but for a shovel and axe I. The jeep the price is right)

Also looking at getting an air compressor only to air up tires. Any suggestions? I don't want it permanent I'd rather the alligator clip style.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Ok so doing CPR and bringing this back to life, sticking with the theme I got my first aid kit done. List of items: Cpr masks -5 B/P cuff and stethoscope Glasses Pen light Glow sticks Solar blanket Cling wrap - 2 different sizes, several of each Band aids of all different sizes, plenty of each Medicaine swabs-10 Ammonia inhalants - 15 Burn gel Hand sanitizer Sun screen Bug spray Benadryl -12 Bacitracin packs -10 Tourniquet Trama sheers Bite stick Tweezers Tape - 3 rolls Saline rinse -2 Alcohol wipes -20 Steri strips Sterile 4x4' and 3x3's 10-20 of each ace bandage 3" 12x30 trauma dressing Box of medical gloves Gallon ziplock bag, two disposable ice packs, Airway kit, Hemostat I think that covers it all. Hopefully never have to use any of it other than the sunscreen... Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2087162003.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	591340

Last edited by trouty33; 01-15-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by trouty33
Ok so doing CPR and bringing this back to life, sticking with the theme I got my first aid kit done. List of items: Cpr masks -5 B/P cuff and stethoscope Glasses Pen light Glow sticks Solar blanket Cling wrap - 2 different sizes, several of each Band aids of all different sizes, plenty of each Medicaine swabs-10 Ammonia inhalants - 15 Burn gel Hand sanitizer Sun screen Bug spray Benadryl -12 Bacitracin packs -10 Tourniquet Trama sheers Bite stick Tweezers Tape - 3 rolls Saline rinse -2 Alcohol wipes -20 Steri strips Sterile 4x4' and 3x3's 10-20 of each ace bandage 3" 12x30 trauma dressing Box of medical gloves Gallon ziplock bag Airway kit Hemostat I think that covers it all. Hopefully never have to use any of it other than the sunscreen... Attachment 591340
Some may laugh, but I've been working on mine as well and have been considering a short board. Mostly because if neck/back injury does happen on the trail, it'd be dicey even with a board, imagine without one.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

First-aid is certainly something to consider in your packing. Of course, what you need will depend on how you use your Jeep. Those of us who get a couple day's drive away from the nearest bit of civilization need to take a different approach to first-aid. Did you know that typical first-aid responder training assumes that qualified medical help (typically a paramedic) will be on scene within 8-10 minutes? If that doesn't describe how you use your Jeep, you may want to consider the Wilderness First-Aid Survival Course offered by several different organizations. This two day, 16 hour course takes an entirely different approach to emergencies, assuming that what you have is all you have for perhaps even a day or two. There are extensive discussions and practical exercises on discovering injuries, triaging and rendering aid, using available resources in creative ways, evacuation decision and procedures, etc. I arranged for the course to be taught for off-roaders here in the OKC area, and we had a bunch of Scouts join us. It's a great course. Remember: Knowledge doesn't take up any space and doesn't weigh anything! Here are a few pics of the course we took last month ...

You must be CPR/AED qualified before starting the course. So we added that on for those who weren't ...

Everyone gets to practice a variety of wound scenarios ...

Ah, yes, this is yours truly with a broken collarbone .................................................. .........\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ Owns two hemi JKs

Didn't know how to tie a square knot. ;-)

The last day is a scenario set up specifically for the experiences that the participants might have. Since I was the one who'd coordinated the course, they went with a Jeep roll-over accident that a group of hikers happened upon.

The staff had a lot of fun with making the injuries look real ...

Would you know how to treat a sucking chest wound?

And here are a few shots of the recommended wilderness first aid kit ...

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-12-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:26 AM
JK Super Freak

That's awesome you've been through and helped coordinate this training, Mark. For someone who overlands like you, I see this as necessary. I'm struggling where to draw the line for myself, I know I can't do everything I would be able with an ambulance, but I want to do as much as I can for what could happen. Equipment and lack of resources in the main hindrance

Quick Reply: Whats is in your packing list for your Jeep?