Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winch Basics

Old 12-27-2015, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed thick rubber hose over each lead leaving my winch, and going to the battery, In case of abrasion. One thing to think about is that if you don't have a cut off switch to your winch, someone could come along with their own controller and hook to your winch and do what ever they want, they can steal you expensive cable, run the cable out and wrap it around your driveshaft or what ever they want. Then you come out, get in your Jeep, take off and rip the driveshaft out, or worse. I don't have a cut off switch but, I need one. Sometimes kids do the stupidest things, thus destroying your Jeep ! As far as service is concerned, Warn makes and sells every part for every Winch they ever made. I personally would buy a used Warn and rebuild it before buying a Chinese Winch, and I have.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dahreno

I installed thick rubber hose over each lead leaving my winch, and going to the battery, In case of abrasion.
I did that too in one area that concerned me (along fender between battery and air box)

One thing to think about is that if you don't have a cut off switch to your winch, someone could come along with their own controller and hook to your winch and do what ever they want, they can steal you expensive cable, run the cable out and wrap it around your driveshaft or what ever they want. Then you come out, get in your Jeep, take off and rip the driveshaft out, or worse. I don't have a cut off switch but, I need one. Sometimes kids do the stupidest things, thus destroying your Jeep !
Wow. That would be in awful lot of work for someone to go through in order to vandalize my (insured) jeep. They have to have $100 controller and then unwind that cable, get under my jeep and do all kinds of work. And that would assume that I don't notice it before I get in and drive off. Of course if they really want to do damage they can just come over and loosen up most of my Lugnuts, that would really do some damage and they wouldn't have to go to the trouble of messing with my winch or owning a controller.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm just saying a cut off isn't a bad idea. I did have some one try to steal my tires once, they removed all lugs except the locking ones, then they left. I got up early for work, got in and drove about 10 feel before I noticed it was driving funny ! lol
Old 01-02-2016, 12:13 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue26
What are thoughts on over current protection from the wiring feeding he winch? All of the winches on my companies work trucks have either a fuse or circuit breaker on them but most of the personal winches I have seen have nothing. Realize the size of the over current device could get big. I am just starting to look at winches and am trying to learn the basics.
I used a circuit breaker that is also a switch, here's a write-up on it: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...nstall-260339/

Old 01-02-2016, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your questions have been answered in this thread, I would just add one thing with wireless remote, from my experience with mine.

You want to carry the wired control incase you have a signal or battery issue.
The wireless lets you have your windows up, etc which is nice for keeping the gunk out.
The wireless has a slight delay in response so it is fine for winching, but not good for spoiling your line.

I'm a fan of Warn, very few people have issues with them and a winch is not something you want failing on you when you need it. Plus if you get a nice one you can transfer it from vehicle to vehicle because it will outlast your jeep.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You need both

I say both. The wireless remote is good to have. Like said before spooling that last 1" is not the wireless remotes strong point. Just get one that has both and throw both in the center console and lock it. As for stealing your line. Unless you somehow lock your clutch lever to engaged. All they have to do is put it in neutral and pull it all out. So I don't see how cutting the power to the winch is going to prevent line theft.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

I was going to say the same thing. Free spooling out the line is faster and less noise than power feeding the rope. If you don't protect your synthetic line from the elements and your drum becomes rusty your rope will get rusty too. I didn't cover my winch last winter and got some sleet/freezing rain. When I went to use my winch that night the rope was frozen together and wouldn't pull or power off the drum. A $25 cover is a great investment
Old 01-18-2016, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Fuse

How about using a 500 amp fuse like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...A24SNXJMOW06KM
Old 01-18-2016, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Mschneid
I like it. I prefer circuit breakers, but that fuse will certainly protect the downstream wiring/motor from gross overcurrent. I'd leave the fuse out when not in use as well.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mschneid
How about using a 500 amp fuse like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...A24SNXJMOW06KM

Interesting. Is 500amp the right size? Also, is that clear plastic case they show going with it the right pairing? I'm wondering if it's too light duty/small in size bolts.

Quick Reply: Winch Basics