Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Winch spooling help!!!

Old 03-15-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch spooling help!!!

Finally got the right screw i think to put my synthectic line on my xrc8 comp series winch..........anyways my winch came not spooled, therefore i have no idea how to spool it.

Do i go under the drum and around so it spools from the bottom or do i want it spooling out from the top?

Also once i screw in the line should i stretch it all the way out and then hook it to another vehicle when spooling it in and keep the tension tight?

confused on how to go about this
Old 03-15-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Junkie

OK with your winch hooked up press line in.. your winch should rotate and be pulling from the bottom. just hook your line to a tree set your ebrake on a little and winch in while guiding the line with a gloved hand.
you want the winch pulling from the bottom of the drum
Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

okay awesome thanks man...................last question. When do i use the clutch or freespool. im assuming the freespool is when im pulling line out to hook it to something then engage the clutch when im pulling in?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

yup
Old 03-15-2010, 12:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quick piece of info. with synthetic line, you dont have to spool it in under load. you can just wind it and hold it with your hand to make sure it lays smooth and in line.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by countrydude1992
quick piece of info. with synthetic line, you dont have to spool it in under load. you can just wind it and hold it with your hand to make sure it lays smooth and in line.
I've not every heard of it recommended that way. Everything I've ever seen has said that even with synthetic line, you should spool it under load to prevent problems when you need to use it under load. It's not that hard or time consuming, I would do it under load to make sure.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

The instuctions for my Viking Line says to spool it under tension like you would a steel line...seems to be the opposite of what I've heard also.

Last edited by Cedo Nulli; 03-15-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven4est
Finally got the right screw i think to put my synthectic line on my xrc8 comp series winch..........anyways my winch came not spooled, therefore i have no idea how to spool it.

Do i go under the drum and around so it spools from the bottom or do i want it spooling out from the top?

Also once i screw in the line should i stretch it all the way out and then hook it to another vehicle when spooling it in and keep the tension tight?

confused on how to go about this
i found this pretty helpful https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/installing-synthetic-winch-rope-117077/
Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 AM
JK Junkie

you should spool under load so when you are pullin on it the tight line doesnt sink into the poorly spooled lower wraps. Always spool under tension
Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one member said that the first layer should be wraped like steel cable then the other layers should zig zag i wrote to warn but i got no reply from them and droped it after 4 e-mails to them if you think about what it says it makes sence as in when you only pull 40 50' of winch line out and you winch in it wont bary itself down several layers i sure hope i explaind it good

Quick Reply: Winch spooling help!!!