Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

zeon platinum winch

Old 11-15-2014, 12:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zeon platinum winch

So I was all set to pull the trigger on a Warn Zeon 10-S or a Superwinch Talon 9.5 (maybe even the 12.5) when the Zeon platinum was released. Now I'm right back to square one with my decision making process.

I really dig the fact that the manual clutch has been eliminated. At least I know some jackass won't steal my rope (as easily) or unspool it just to be a doucheface. I just don't know if I can justify $1750 for a winch!!!

If anyone here has put hands on one of the Zeon Platinum winches please give your feedback. I'm really trying to talk myself out of this fancy ass winch, but it's just so enticing!
Old 11-15-2014, 03:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flomingo
So I was all set to pull the trigger on a Warn Zeon 10-S or a Superwinch Talon 9.5 (maybe even the 12.5) when the Zeon platinum was released. Now I'm right back to square one with my decision making process.

I really dig the fact that the manual clutch has been eliminated. At least I know some jackass won't steal my rope (as easily) or unspool it just to be a doucheface. I just don't know if I can justify $1750 for a winch!!!

If anyone here has put hands on one of the Zeon Platinum winches please give your feedback. I'm really trying to talk myself out of this fancy ass winch, but it's just so enticing!
I chose the Warn Zeon 10-S.
If the Zeon platinum was available then, I'd still have chosen the 10-s, because I don't think the extra cost is worth it.
I tend to prefer mechanical simplicity. The more remote operations, the less reliability, even for very good products such as Warn.
I'm designing a hard cover anyway, so the synthetic rope isn't exposed to the sun. The clutch will be kept out of reach.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-15-2014 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
I chose the Warn Zeon 10-S.
If the Zeon platinum was available then, I'd still have chosen the 10-s, because I don't think the extra cost is worth it.
I tend to prefer mechanical simplicity. The more remote operations, the less reliability, even for very good products such as Warn.
I'm designing a hard cover anyway, so the synthetic rope isn't exposed to the sun. The clutch will be kept out of reach.
That's pretty much what I've been thinking. The simpler the better. And cheaper!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Shoot I went with the zeon 8 saved money bought a nice snatch block and you're good to go def can't say I would spend that on a winch when I'm sure your list is as long as mine you can put it towards the next mod!

Sent from my dogs cell phone
Old 11-19-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow you must like spending money. I just have a Superwinch Tiger Shark.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:41 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
Pretty nice and reasonably priced. I have an Engo....I know cheep and have not had to use yet.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
Naw, not really. I was really trying to talk myself out of spending that kind of money!

I was taking a serious look at the superwinch talon 12.5 but keep coming back to the Zeon because it's made in USA and it's just a sexy beast.

I'm still considering the talon 12.5... I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that won't get a whole ton of use. I just want it to work when I need it to! I've read nothing but good things about Superwinch and the Talon line. I kinda want one just to be different! Best part is that it's designed to be used with synthetic line...

Just exploring options...
Old 11-19-2014, 10:27 PM
JK Freak

A winch is not a bad place to splurge. If you look after it, it will last you they multiple vehicles. You can just transfer it to your next jeep.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just get the warn zeon 10-s and be happy no need for the platinum. I couldn't be happier knowing that this thing is on the front my vehicle ready to go

Sent from my dogs cell phone
Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by flomingo
..... I just want it to work when I need it to! .....
Gun, survival knife, winch -- things that I may rarely or never use (excluding practice), but which shouldn't fail when really needed.
I'd look for maximum reliability rather than for saving.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-21-2014 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply: zeon platinum winch