Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2008 Rubicon Jeep Green Metallic "Overland" build...finally!

Old 07-17-2015, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Rubicon Jeep Green Metallic "Overland" build...finally!

When I bought my JKU Rubicon new, I loved the Jeep Green Metallic color...but I was less than excited with the 3.8. I decided to keep it and drive it until the original tires were worn out...and then do a major overhaul. Well...7 years and 30,000 miles later, I need new tires

My plans are to make this our family camping/overland Jeep...and leave it stored out West...waiting for us to fly out and explore some of the National Parks. Years from now, our children(and my wife and I) will look back at these excursions and enjoy all the memories. I want to find a vinyl wrap company to make some creative topo overlays so we can place sticker points on the places that we've seen.

The AEV overhaul:

5.7 Hemi, auto
4:88 gear upgrade with factory lockers
Dynatrac prorock front 44 with RCV shafts
Dynatrac big brake kit
4.5" with 37" KM2s
JK350 pkg. - both bumpers, with silver Savegre or Salta wheels to be determined.
Rear gas carrier.(I may need two!)

Camping upgrades:
Gobi rack with Eezi Awn 2200 Xclusive roof top tent...sleeps 4 comfortably, and has an annex.

Adventure Trailers parts:
Rear cargo drawer
Rear cargo shelf
National Luna 52 fridge/freezer combo
Chaser trailer with water and gas, and other stuff.

It's crazy how fast the additional weight adds up when you begin to outfit a rig for extended camping! Here are a few of the add-ons and the weights of each.

My RTT with annex........................................... 255lbs.
National Luna 52L dry....................................... 60lbs.
AT drawer system and rack dry weight approx..... 50lbs?
AEV gas caddy full............................................73 lbs.
Highlift jack.............................................. ...... 32lbs.
Our gear...who knows! .................................. 200lbs.
Front AEV bumper ...........................................92lbs.
Winch is approx............................................ .. 90lbs.
Rear bumper and tire carrier is ........................120lbs.
37" KM2 (71lbs) Savegre wheel (35lbs).............106lbs.
Gobi rack as spec'd........................................145 lbs.
FoxWing awning............................................ ...40lbs.
Misc. weight not accounted for..........................120lbs.
Family of 4................................................. ....520lbs.

Total additional weight/load .......................1,903lbs.

Don't guess that'll affect gas mileage will it?! lol

If you're like me, waiting for pics in a build thread drives you crazy! So, I waited until the first part of the conversion was complete before posting! The additional upgrades will be installed real soon when they start shipping. But for now, here are the pics!

The Jeep new in 2008...

Now with 30K miles, bald tires and Rubicon sticker is falling off! But, the paint and interior is still as new.

On the carrier...

2 days later, among friends inside AEV warehouse in Michigan...

Old 07-17-2015, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

They didn't send me pics of the HEMI install like I had requested :( I had really hoped for the frame rail shot...but no one took it. Here is a fun comparison pic showing a before and after shot of the engine bay...

I'll get a better overhead pic when I get the Jeep back.

I received a few pics of the lift being installed, along with the gear swap. I went with the Dynatrac ProRock 44 up front with RCV shafts and 4:88 gears all around. I also had them install Dynatrac's big brake kit. This is the first kit they have installed on one of their conversions, and it went smooth. Though they don't offer the kit as an option just yet, I imagine it won't be long before they do. It seems pretty straight forward and very serviceable with OEM parts.

Building the front axle...

Rear axle...

They installed the Dynatrac brake kit last...
Old 07-17-2015, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

And a few with the 4.5" lift...I chose the silver Savegre wheels for this build. If the get scratched, they won't show so bad. Plus, the Jeep Green Metallic has a fair amount of silver flake. I'll add my mud flaps, and AEV gas carrier and other stuff when I get it back home.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Got a few more pics today. I think the interior hard top has been painted by now.

I have been concerned about matching the almost 8 year old Jeep Green Metallic. It has spent most of it's life in the garage and not in a parking lot. I know there will be some fading the best you can do, but it is very minimal. They did a 2nd repaint to get it closer and I'm relying on their eyes to get it as close as possible. Of course it will never be "perfect" but I'm cursed with an eye for detail. From the pic, under fluorescent lights, it seems a tad dark...but the sunlight will be the determining factor. I thought about painting the grill to match the hood...to lessen the surface area for comparison. Duncan(AEV) said that it would be like peeling an onion...paint the grill, then the fenders, then... I'm sure it could turn in to that, but if it is too far off, I'm thinking about the grill at least. Again...it's hard to tell from a pic.

From this pic, it sure seems to sit level...which I like!

Last edited by imajeepnut; 07-17-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Interior paint is finished....

Old 07-17-2015, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Jeep is finished, waiting on the carrier...

I'll pick back up with pics when I get my roof rack, tent, etc. and get it all installed. Most everything is being shipped next week, so I'll be busy!

Last edited by imajeepnut; 07-17-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

Well...Duncan came through for me on this one. I asked him for a picture showing everyone who had a part in my overhaul/conversion. It sounded like the guys would rather be wrenching than posing for a picture, but they were good sports and took the time to smile for the camera for posterity's sake! To me... knowing who spent their time and skills building what me and my family will enjoy makes it more special. The provenance of any work of art...be it a vintage instrument or a custom built Jeep, is vital to the history of the piece. So, I want to thank everyone to had a part in building our JK. I'm very particular and demanding when it comes to fit and finish, among other things, and Duncan was very easy going and pleasant to work with. Thank you Duncan for hangin' in there with me through all my questions, requests, and concerns!!

With everyone's permission, I'll share who these folks are in the picture and what role they played in the conversion. That may have to be Monday, but I'll follow up.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Badass man!
Old 07-25-2015, 12:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Nice. On the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR) run I just completed one of the JKs was an AEV Hemi. It sounded so nice when it started each morning!
Old 07-27-2015, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks great! I've decided I'm going hemi after I hit 100,000 miles on my 2015 JKUR. Shouldn't take long as I already have 20k on it! Leaning towards 6.4l.

Sweet rig!! Be sure to give us a full review of the 5.7l after u get it back and drive it a while!

Congrats!!

Luke

Quick Reply: 2008 Rubicon Jeep Green Metallic "Overland" build...finally!