Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

5.7L Hemi Dyno Results

Old 06-13-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7L Hemi Dyno Results

Well, I strapped my toy on the dyno today to see what kind of numbers I could pull. My rig has a 5.7L Hemi (by SLC), 6-spd manual, 3.21 gears, and 35" tires. Best run generated 280 hp & 327 ft-lbs torque at the rear wheels. Putting down that much hp and torque at the rear wheels is pretty darn good in my opinion!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Wrangler 5.7L Hemi Dyno Curve Results.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	25498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Wrangler 5.7L Hemi Dyno Curve.jpg
Views:	9411
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	25499  
Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swap in some 4.56 gears and those numbers will jump up significantly. Probably put down closer to 320hp or so. What gear was the transmission in?
Old 06-13-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stuka
Swap in some 4.56 gears and those numbers will jump up significantly. Probably put down closer to 320hp or so. What gear was the transmission in?
Could you explain how changing the axle ratio will change the RWHP?

Nick
Old 06-13-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nick p
Could you explain how changing the axle ratio will change the RWHP?

Nick
It all has to do with torque and leverage. Low gearing is basically the same as using a longer lever. Which means you will lose less torque. Since he has 3.21 gears and 35" tires, he is losing a fair amount of torque through the drivetrain. The larger diameter tire is the same as having a longer lever attached to the axle, that the engine is trying to fight against. By putting in lower gears, its giving the engine more leverage to fight against the larger diameter tire.

This is the reason you have much much more torque in low range than in high range. Although because a regular engine has a limited operating range, you need to go with gearing which will give us a compromise between wheel speed and available torque.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Torque will multiply, but RPM will divide HP=TQxRPM/5250

Gear ratio has never made a difference on any of the vehicles i have chassis dynoed...
Old 06-14-2009, 02:31 AM
JK Freak

Gearing only allows you to reach that peak horsepower in a quicker time frame.
The only way to increase rear wheel horsepower is lessen drivetrain loses ie. lightwieght flywheel-driveshafts or simply increasing engine internals for more horsepower..
Old 06-16-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmelgin
Well, I strapped my toy on the dyno today to see what kind of numbers I could pull. My rig has a 5.7L Hemi (by SLC), 6-spd manual, 3.21 gears, and 35" tires. Best run generated 280 hp & 327 ft-lbs torque at the rear wheels. Putting down that much hp and torque at the rear wheels is pretty darn good in my opinion!
That's a great torque curve. , especially since your rig was tested on a Mustang dyno. Those historically give "low" results.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Looking good Mike.

How's everything?

Gerry
Old 06-17-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm impressed by the torque # this is what you feel when you drive. I have my Hemi and tranny but had to put it on hold for now. I blame Obama
Old 06-17-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all of the kind words. The motor/tranny setup is awesome. Gerry and the boys at SLC did a super job. My only issue is that the exhaust is a bit too aggressive for my taste (probably because I'm and old fart). If anyone is hesitating to pull the trigger on this conversion, just go for it. You'll not regret it!

Quick Reply: 5.7L Hemi Dyno Results