Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bestop Under Seat Lockbox vs. Tuffy

Old 02-20-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bestop Under Seat Lockbox vs. Tuffy

I wanted to do my own wright-up of my Bestop locking box. There is already a review of it side by side against the Tuffy locking box, which costs around 100$:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=bestop+tuffy

I am not trying to bash David's great review from Northridge 4x4 here, but after reading it I felt his review was a little one-sided. So I went against the grain and bought the Bestop product anyway. I don't have the Tuffy box to compare it too, and I don't doubt it's superiority, but I also am glad I didn't spend the extra money on it.

As I am not planning on concealing a a weapon in it, the primary purpose of the box is essentially a lockable junk drawer.

Here are a few plusses I found about the Bestop product:

Price, I bought it from 4wd.com for 47.99$ shipped.

I found the construction of the box to be very good, everything seems heavy duty from the keys, to the locking mechanism. I can fit almost everything that hangs out in my center console in it.

The bolts that hold the seat to the car, and also the box, are in real tight. I had to use an impact wrench to get them off, a socket and a wrench wouldn't do it for me. Definitely discouraging for a thief to bother with.

The carpet in the bottom keeps stuff from rattling inside.

Cons-
Yes the bottom is held together by screws, but if a thief can get that box out, no matter how well it's built they will be equipped with the tools to get the box open, or to cut it.

The box doesn't open all the way, but you can easily reach your hand to the back of it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	128974

Key's come out even when open - Yes, annoying, but still not a big deal.

Here are some crappy pics. It's hard to take them once it's installed.

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	128971

Here is the box under the seat, upside down?

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	128970

The Bestop Key is all the way to the right and it is thicker than any key on my keychain:

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	128973
Old 02-20-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this same one,pretty happy with it.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

I just ordered this too I'll add more once I install it
Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

That's a nice box and if that space is good enough for what you need it's great. The Tuffy is twice as much as the Bestop but it also has almost twice the capacity.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Bestop one also. My wife bought it for me as a gift. Im not picky and any free mod is OK by me. Plus im not going to tell the wife to send it back and get me the Tuffy. I like to sleep in my bed.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Quality?

I see that one of the diferences in the two boxes is the slides. Hows the quality of the slides on the bestop? Also is the box sealed up well, not in terms of water but I frequent the sand dunes and wouldnt want anything to get full of sand if I was driving around with the doors off. Thanks for the great review on it and Im just about ready to pull the trigger on this one.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 AM
JK Freak

Very nice write-up. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't imagine sand getting inside the box unless you had it open and got some in that way. There are no creases or seams on the top or sides, and the drawer doesn't stick out from under the seat.

The box is heavy duty all the way around. And if money is an issue, this is definitely a solid choice. Nice to have for anyone who likes keeping a lot of junk in their jeep.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good man. I have the Tuffy. I went off of davs review more than anything. But mine is used to keep in valuables, not junk so I wanted the best. But I agree, you don't need the best if its just for space. Save the money and get more stuff. Looks good though. Also the Tuffy has a gasket type strip in the top opening to keep out the dust. Does the Bestop?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thrshr01
The Tuffy is twice as much as the Bestop but it also has almost twice the capacity.
Are you sure? According to their specs, the Tuffy is only larger by fractions of an inch. Not enough to make a difference. I guess it all depends on what features one needs as both are good products.

Quick Reply: Bestop Under Seat Lockbox vs. Tuffy