Bestop Under Seat Lockbox vs. Tuffy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bestop Under Seat Lockbox vs. Tuffy

I wanted to do my own wright-up of my Bestop locking box. There is already a review of it side by side against the Tuffy locking box, which costs around 100$:

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.p...t=bestop+tuffy

I am not trying to bash David's great review from Northridge 4x4 here, but after reading it I felt his review was a little one-sided. So I went against the grain and bought the Bestop product anyway. I don't have the Tuffy box to compare it too, and I don't doubt it's superiority, but I also am glad I didn't spend the extra money on it.

As I am not planning on concealing a a weapon in it, the primary purpose of the box is essentially a lockable junk drawer.

Here are a few plusses I found about the Bestop product:

Price, I bought it from 4wd.com for 47.99$ shipped.

I found the construction of the box to be very good, everything seems heavy duty from the keys, to the locking mechanism. I can fit almost everything that hangs out in my center console in it.

The bolts that hold the seat to the car, and also the box, are in real tight. I had to use an impact wrench to get them off, a socket and a wrench wouldn't do it for me. Definitely discouraging for a thief to bother with.

The carpet in the bottom keeps stuff from rattling inside.

Cons-
    Yes the bottom is held together by screws, but if a thief can get that box out, no matter how well it's built they will be equipped with the tools to get the box open, or to cut it.

The box doesn't open all the way, but you can easily reach your hand to the back of it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	128974

Key's come out even when open - Yes, annoying, but still not a big deal.

Here are some crappy pics. It's hard to take them once it's installed.

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	128971

Here is the box under the seat, upside down?

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	128970

The Bestop Key is all the way to the right and it is thicker than any key on my keychain:

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	128973

JK Newbie

I bought this same one,pretty happy with it.

JK Newbie

I just ordered this too I'll add more once I install it
    2010 4 door wrangler Rescue Green Mountain Edition
    [x] Rugged Ridge light bar w/3 hella 500 fog lights
    [x] Sill plates
    [X] K&N Air filter

That's a nice box and if that space is good enough for what you need it's great. The Tuffy is twice as much as the Bestop but it also has almost twice the capacity.

I have the Bestop one also. My wife bought it for me as a gift. Im not picky and any free mod is OK by me. Plus im not going to tell the wife to send it back and get me the Tuffy. I like to sleep in my bed.
    Red Unlimited X Auto - ProRock 44 - RIPP GenII Supercharger - ARB Lockers - Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid Arm - 5.13 Yucon Gears - ProComp 7005's Wheels - 37" Cooper STT's - Rugged Ridge F&R Bumpers Teraflex Sliders - Smittybilt XRC8 Winch - IPF Headlight Replacement - Bushwacker Flat Fenders - Bushwacker Trail Armor

Default Quality?

I see that one of the diferences in the two boxes is the slides. Hows the quality of the slides on the bestop? Also is the box sealed up well, not in terms of water but I frequent the sand dunes and wouldnt want anything to get full of sand if I was driving around with the doors off. Thanks for the great review on it and Im just about ready to pull the trigger on this one.
    2008 Wrangler X

Visit the Great Lakes Area

WWW.NORTHRIDGE4X4.COM

Very nice write-up. Thank you!
    2007 Flame Red 2-Door Rubicon
    Teraflex 2.5" spring lift (4-door), Bilstein 5100s | Teraflex FlexArms | Spidertrax Wheel Spacers | Goodyear Duratracs 315/70/17 | LoD Mid-Width Front Bumper | LoD Front Skid | Smittybilt XRC Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier | Poison Spyder Evap Canister Skid | Rancho Oil Pan Skid | Riddler Diff Covers | EVO gussets, sleeves, LCA skids | Hella Black Magics, Smittybilt windshield brackets | Smittybilt XRC 8 Comp-Series Winch | Midland 1001z with FireFly

I can't imagine sand getting inside the box unless you had it open and got some in that way. There are no creases or seams on the top or sides, and the drawer doesn't stick out from under the seat.

The box is heavy duty all the way around. And if money is an issue, this is definitely a solid choice. Nice to have for anyone who likes keeping a lot of junk in their jeep.

Looks good man. I have the Tuffy. I went off of davs review more than anything. But mine is used to keep in valuables, not junk so I wanted the best. But I agree, you don't need the best if its just for space. Save the money and get more stuff. Looks good though. Also the Tuffy has a gasket type strip in the top opening to keep out the dust. Does the Bestop?
    08 JKU X, Red Rock, 6spd, Soft Top.

Quote Originally Posted by thrshr01
    The Tuffy is twice as much as the Bestop but it also has almost twice the capacity.
    Are you sure? According to their specs, the Tuffy is only larger by fractions of an inch. Not enough to make a difference. I guess it all depends on what features one needs as both are good products.

11. Default JK-Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast