Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Bug Screens for Camping!

Old 05-09-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug Screens for Camping!

So after being inspired by another forum member I decided to make screens for the Jeep. When Camping I sleep in the jeep and with the woods being pretty buggy here in BC, and the weather changing every five minutes, I was looking for a solution that I could change quickly and would still keep the jeep cool yet bug free at night.

Total Time: 30 mins
Total Cost: $50
15' Feet of Velcro, sticky on both the hook and loop side (Michaels craft store $35)
3' x 10' of window screen (Home Depot $10, and I have enough left over for another 4 windows...)
Hot Glue Gun (Michael's $4)
Hot Glue (Michael's $2)

From the outside, no show

Loop taped to the window frame. It is around the outside of the whole window to seal it out completely.

Its that easy...

Screen is stuck to the hook side of the velcro. I also put hot glue on the back side of the screen to increase adhesion

Screen is on! Screen is off! Takes about 5 seconds to change it over. When not on the window I keep the screens rolled up in my gear box. They are rollable, flexible or I guess you could just shove them in the trunk storage bin...when the screens are in the windows work as normal.

Last edited by Canada17; 05-09-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a great idea. Very nice job. My parents live in Maine and when we visit them I have noticed that the mosquitos are ruthless. You must have some good motivation if your bugs are nearly as nasty.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think if I was to do it again, I would add something to cover the hot glue. Not pretty right now but it works.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree it would look better. Why not run hot glue all along the inside and border it with something the same width as the velcro. You could even use the fuzzy side of the velcro, but I think that would be more expensive.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good.... that's my next step, only I'm going to use magnets to hold the screen to the doors... but I did the velcro on the rear window...

As far as the glue showing on your screens, just cut some material and glue it on the other side.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is a very cool idea! Think I'll be tryin' this when I get home! Thanks!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought about the magnets but for 14 feet of it it was going to be something around $75. Next time...let me know how yours goes.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Keep it going guys... very cool ideas. Not loving the velcro at first but yeah the magnets also not cheap. Hmmm, got me thinking.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default window screens

I do a lot of camping out of the jeep and wanted some screens for the rear windows, my idea was something that slipped into the window track. I ended up cutting screen material and using some gorilla tape to tape the edges as the screen is metal so they can slip into the window track when the window is down. It takes longer to fit than the velcro but I like the way it sits and is totally bugg proof My original idea was to fab something that will maybe slip into the window track on the top and is held in place with the window pinching it from the bottem, but I got kinda of lazy.

Quick Reply: Bug Screens for Camping!