Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 12-20-2014, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That scaled down version of the trailer is the coolest thing I have seen all week. You're skills are impressive.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiKing
That scaled down version of the trailer is the coolest thing I have seen all week. You're skills are impressive.
Glad you like it

I make a lot of models during the design phases of my projects... here are a few more photos.

When I was getting ready to sew a form-fitted tarp for my full-scale trailer, I first sewed a model tarp to the same pattern scaled down:

I also made a 4'-long model version of the military trailer. Both trailers have scale model Harbor Freight frames; the small one with the original HF wheels/tires and the longer one with Jeep TJ Moab wheels and tires.

When I was getting ready to cut my almost-new Wrangler Unlimited in half to turn it into a pickup, I made a model in 1/25 scale (shown here with photos of the final truck):

And of course it has a model version of my yellow trailer:

When I was building the LJ Safari Cab I made a 1:18 model of it in the same modular parts to verify the modular assembly:

I always find the models to be extremely helpful in designing and planning my full-scale projects.

I should have photos of the 1:10 model JK Safari Cab painted and detailed tomorrow, stay tuned...
Old 12-20-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If I ever hit the PowerBall, you are hired, sir!
Old 12-20-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jscherb
Here's an inside view of the prototype parts on the workbench. Between moving the brake light up top, moving the wiper motor to the bottom, and the extra windows, visibility out the back will be much better thank in the factory hardtop.

Very nice, keep up the good work
Old 12-21-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

The painted 1:10 scale model JK Safari Cab.

With no Alpine windows in the roof:

With two Alpine windows on each side of the roof:

Alpine windows can be installed one per side, on the left is one over the passenger row of seats, on the right is one over the cargo area:

With sunroof(s):

Old 12-21-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

I left the clear roof of the model hardtop unpainted, because on the Safari Cab when the roof isn't installed, it would look like this - just the upper door surrounds and the side and back panels (and ignore the clear part).

And that would allow for the installation of the soft roof:

Old 12-21-2014, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Hinged and tilted up, in the camper configuration.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Genius. This is the creativity and skill that made this country great. We aren't down and out, thank you !
Old 12-22-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Where to put the JK Safari Cab when it's off the Jeep? I did a test this morning.

Both side panels will fit under one single bed, and the end panel + barn door will also fit under a single bed. All would fit under a queen bed.

All that leaves is the roof, which is a bit too long to fit under most beds, so it'll have to store standing up against a garage wall. But since I run my LJ Safari roof panel in the warm months with the roll-up sides, I never need to store that anywhere, it's on the Jeep. I'll probably run my JK Safari Cab the same way.

Last edited by jscherb; 12-22-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb

All that leaves is the roof, which is a bit too long to fit under most beds, so it'll have to store standing up against a garage wall. But since I run my LJ Safari roof panel in the warm months with the roll-up sides, I never need to store that anywhere, it's on the Jeep. I'll probably run my JK Safari Cab the same way.
Let me come pick that up for a quick test. I bet it fits under my bed. Promise I'll bring it right back.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop