Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 12-09-2014, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's badass.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing vision and talent
Old 12-09-2014, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very nice work!
Amazing talent.

I am kind of surprised that you would post this on the internet before it was in production what with all the idea thieves running around.

Keep up the good work. This looks like one idea that will pay off.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutman
That's badass.
Originally Posted by jeepn0811
Amazing vision and talent
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Tree Frog
Very nice work!
Amazing talent.

I am kind of surprised that you would post this on the internet before it was in production what with all the idea thieves running around.

Keep up the good work. This looks like one idea that will pay off.
I always do my designs very publicly - I find that the input and criticism I get during the process helps me make the design and end product much better than if I were doing it in secret. And these are complicated things to do well, and for most companies would take a significant investment in pattern making and design, not to mention being very time consuming to perfect, so the chance that a company will jump right in, copy my design and get something to market quickly is very small.

I did my LJ/TJ Safari Cab design the same way, and nobody's copied it, and I did both of my Jeep trailer designs this way too, and nobody's copied them. Both are on the market. And even now, despite the fact that the trailers are the only successful fiberglass offroad trailer kits ever to come to market, nobody's copied them.

Sometimes I don't reveal a construction detail or two if I feel there's a risk of a knock-off, for example, the side-mount jerry can holder seen on my LJ in the photo below I developed online, but I never showed the detail of how the receiver it mounts in bolts to the frame, which is something that's never been done before. That was the right move, because a company has now licensed the design for production, and they've filed for a patent on it because it is a unique design. They introduced the jerry can holder at SEMA last month, and they'll have them on the market very shortly, and it'll be the only thing like it on the market.

(BTW the CJ Grille Kit front end on my LJ is also a fiberglass project I did completely online.)

Anyway, I find that the advantages of doing design publicly to get input, feedback and criticism from everyone far outweigh the risk that someone will copy me. And everything I design ends up being a better product because I did it online, everything I do ends up having features and details that come from that feedback.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:59 AM
JK Freak

What a great idea. If only I had that kind of talent. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
Thank you.

I always do my designs very publicly - I find that the input and criticism I get during the process helps me make the design and end product much better than if I were doing it in secret. And these are complicated things to do well, and for most companies would take a significant investment in pattern making and design, not to mention being very time consuming to perfect, so the chance that a company will jump right in, copy my design and get something to market quickly is very small.

I did my LJ/TJ Safari Cab design the same way, and nobody's copied it, and I did both of my Jeep trailer designs this way too, and nobody's copied them. Both are on the market. And even now, despite the fact that the trailers are the only successful fiberglass offroad trailer kits ever to come to market, nobody's copied them.

Sometimes I don't reveal a construction detail or two if I feel there's a risk of a knock-off, for example, the side-mount jerry can holder seen on my LJ in the photo below I developed online, but I never showed the detail of how the receiver it mounts in bolts to the frame, which is something that's never been done before. That was the right move, because a company has now licensed the design for production, and they've filed for a patent on it because it is a unique design. They introduced the jerry can holder at SEMA last month, and they'll have them on the market very shortly, and it'll be the only thing like it on the market.

(BTW the CJ Grille Kit front end on my LJ is also a fiberglass project I did completely online.)

Anyway, I find that the advantages of doing design publicly to get input, feedback and criticism from everyone far outweigh the risk that someone will copy me. And everything I design ends up being a better product because I did it online, everything I do ends up having features and details that come from that feedback.
Hey you found this forum here. Glad to see you are on here as well. I will no doubt get double the reading pleasure now for all your projects. Wonderful stuff. And well if you ever need a Jeep JKU for test fitting I am here for you I hope to get a chance to see the LJ in January. Love the safari top.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Here's another variation of the JK Safari Cab I'm thinking about.

Many of the details I already have prototyped - earlier this year I made a tilt-up top for my Jeep-tub trailer and sewed a tilt-up canvas camper surround for it. The canvas parts for the JK Safari tilt-up would be almost the same, differing only in dimensions and a few details.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:39 PM
JK Freak

That is just plan cool..... That camping topper is just insane. What a great idea. I am following this thread for sure.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liking the Land Rover design cues
Old 12-12-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just set up a jar for collecting loose pennies and possibly future panhandling to be able to afford this when its available.

Seriously, it's awesome, can't wait!

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop