Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom Storage Tub Enlargement

Old 02-14-2008, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom Storage Tub Enlargement

We just finished fabricating and installing a custom rear storage tub that is 3 to 4 times bigger than the stock tub. Many of you don't remember but my jeep was in a pretty bad wreck last year so I took this opportunity to build a larger storage tub while the jeep was getting worked on at the body shop. The guys at the shop were jeepers so took this on as a project while repairing the rest of the jeep.

We started with a simple design trying to copy some of the ideas seen in this forum, then came up with the idea of fabricating a tub out of a gas tank skid plate from the previous TJ model. We had to chop down the skid plate and form parts of it so it fit the space as tightly as possible. I was trying to get as much storage as possible. We also cut out the jack storage box (the factory jack is worthless anyway) and built the tub into that space. We verified that this was not impairing any of the crash crumple zones on the back of the jeep. We installed a 2" by 4" steel cross member so that we didn't loose any structural strength from cutting out the jack storage box. It is probably twice a strong now than before the mod.

Overall size of the tub is 29" by 17" by 8" deep. I do need to still finish a lid for the tub. We made it so large that is does effect the brackets that the stock lid attaches at. The plan is to modify a Tuffy security lid but I just haven't got around to ordering one yet.

It looks like a factory install but I would caution anyone from trying this. While it looks great and I'm very glad we did it, it took forever to build the tub due to the amount of customization needed. Don't try this if you going to pay some one to build it. I had the benefit that the insurance company was paying for repairing the rear of the jeep and the guys at the shop worked a lot on their own time.

I also installed Expedition One front and rear bumpers at this same time but won't be ready to show pictures for a few weeks. I'm working on modifying the front bumper to accomodate my Blue Ox tow bar bracket. Their rear bumper looks great, is rock solid, and their design that hinges the rear tire with the tailgate works great. I was concerned the front bumper would look to big but it really came out looking good. Pictures in a few weeks....
The following users liked this post:
Superchargedrubi2012 (05-28-2021)
Old 02-14-2008, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Awesome!!!

Wow... that looks great! You guys did a great job. I can't wait to see what else you have done.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:20 PM
JK Junkie

That looks really good. You can tell alot of hours were put into it. Thats how it shouldve came from jeep
Old 02-14-2008, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Very cool, you've really got me thinking...
Old 02-14-2008, 08:40 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Very nice
Old 02-14-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. After seeing what is involved I would buy Woods kit unless you have lots and lots and lots of free time plus good metal fabrication skills.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bly109
That looks really good. You can tell alot of hours were put into it. Thats how it shouldve came from jeep
That is what I was thinking!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Damn, that looks great!!!!

Better than factory.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Talking

This is awesome! Did you ever get a lid together for it?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

That is absolutely great. Heck, that looks like a trunk itself.

Quick Reply: Custom Storage Tub Enlargement