Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Did a Thule roof rack on a 2 door hard top

Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passes water test too?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its been a year and no issues with leaks. If it ever does, I'll just simply pull the bolt out, squirt more goop in and reinsert screw.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by dd187
This is a great DIY project.

Can you post the Parts List & Sources?

Thanks!
Sure thing. I got the Thule parts online from this joint Rack Attack. They had it at my door like lightning and they were the best priced I found.

1 TB60 60 inch top track with bolts
1 LB58 58 inch load bars
2 460 Podium foot half pack with fit kit 3101

I got the half pack foot and fit kit together because it was cheaper and they came with the load bar end caps. Then some misc. stuff from the sears hardware

14 M5 stainless washers
M5 x 20mm bolts (I could only find four so I trimmed the longer ones that came with the kit for the rest)
2 M5 nylock stop nuts (the kit came with 12)
2 3/4" x 1/8" x 48" steel flat bar

I forget the bit sizes but the kit comes with them. I used my own anyway to make sure I was drilling the smallest possible holes. I also used some solvent, self etching primer and gloss black paint.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

As far as capacity goes, I haven't had anything on it yet, but it's a pretty solid setup. Based on previous experience with roof racks, I'd throw a couple kayaks up there with no hesitation. Never carried a canoe..

It's rained twice since I've had the rack on (more tomorrow!) and not a drop inside yet. I did silicone the crap out of it. I specifically sealed between the tracks and the hard top and in the bolt holes. I can't really see it leaking. Time will tell.

Don't judge me. I haven't had time to make a front plate bracket. And the rock rails are off because the Rubicon rails were rubbing. Actually, I finished trimming them about an hour ago.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:10 PM
jsl
JK Enthusiast

Looks Great
Old 10-14-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

im very jealouse of i crash and ez,,, this looks like a perfect project for my jeep,, and i know i would use the rack often; however, my jeep would not fit in my weak ass garage if i put the rack on! ,,,,, Any one know a good contractor who can raise the height of my garage??
Old 10-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by big dr
im very jealouse of i crash and ez,,, this looks like a perfect project for my jeep,, and i know i would use the rack often; however, my jeep would not fit in my weak ass garage if i put the rack on! ,,,,, Any one know a good contractor who can raise the height of my garage??
The bars on the Thule rack come off and they have little caps to cover the foot bases. It should only add an inch or two with the bars off. I'll measure when I get around to pulling the bars off and trying them out.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
The bars on the Thule rack come off and they have little caps to cover the foot bases. It should only add an inch or two with the bars off. I'll measure when I get around to pulling the bars off and trying them out.
Dam!!! I guess ill start the planning process
Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the older/cheaper version so its a little more involved, but its still just two allen bolts to remove a tower.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

A better pic from above

Quick Reply: Did a Thule roof rack on a 2 door hard top