Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 07-27-2015, 01:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Teaser video for our recently completed Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR) off-road trip is now online. This 2-1/2 minute video provides a quick summary of our six day, 612 mile, mostly off-road trip from Hood River, OR to Nightwatch Crossing on the Canadian border. Full length videos will be released in the coming weeks as I get them done ...

https://youtu.be/JC9zkyXvaik
Old 07-27-2015, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
As someone who has been tent camping for 50+ years and is currently looking for a overland capable trailer, the action camper presents real options. I might add that I am on my forth Jeep which is a 2015 JKU Rubicon. Without having the opportunity to see one in person, my "photo" impressions are as follows: (1) It looks very unstable, with the CoG moving aft and up, which is not good for driving off road, even on mild off camber trails. (2) I would think significant mods to the JK's suspension and cooling system would be required to accommodate the campers additional weight, shift in CoG and enormous sail area. (3) If it is being marketed as an Overland camper, you might want to consider the prototype "Africa" model JK that is now touring the country as the "JK of choice" for your camper. The "Africa" has a stiffer 2.5" lift and 35" tires which would make getting over the "whoop-de-doos" on the trail a little easier than the stock unmodified Rubicon you are now using. The "Africa's" interior is also about 6" longer in the rear and the top is solid and not removable, which might provide a stiffer platform. (4) The hit in gas mileage must be significant so you are going to have to add a second gas tank or provide a way to carry a four additional Jerry cans. (5) You now carry 8 gallons of water - not nearly enough. The general rule is one gallon of water per person, per day minimum. If you and your wife are going on a week long overland trip, that's not nearly enough. (6) If you are using standard solar panels, 4 to be exact, you are going to add significant weight above the CoG, which is already too high. How are you going to compensate for that weight shift? (7) Paint that sucker white ! Camping in the desert in a black camper is not safe. (8) Lastly, the installation of your camper on a JK is not at the skill level of a backyard mechanic and 90% of JK owners. Installation of your unit on a customer's JK must be an option you offer. Also, I question the safety of having the propane bottle in the cabin. You might want to consider moving it outside of the unit, maybe in the rear. Well, you wanted comments, there's mine. DF
This customer wanted to keep the Jeep street legal for Switzerland where he'll take the vehicle after two trips in the US, that's why it had to stay stock. He feels comfortable with it (not a off-roader), even though I mentioned before that I don't like the handling. For the US where suspension modifications are legal I suggest my customer two options both specially tuned for the ActionCamper: one is from Teraflex, the other from AEV. We'll offer complete vehicles outfitted for the specific needs and of course offer to do the install and vehicle modifications. In the US we'll not offer the 10 Gal. tank and other heavy equipment without appropriate suspension upgrades. The standard 1 Gal. propane tank has the required ventilation at the lowest spot of the compartment. The solar panels are thin film, lightweight panels. The automobile clubs (like AAA) of Germany, Austria and Switzerland tested same vehicles in white, silver, red and black because everybody believes what you believe. The final temperature is always the same! The Tuareg's black clothing initiated the idea this test. The Africa teaser has no removable hard top. The ActionCamper replaces the hard top, tailgate, rear doors and rear interior to save weight. I asked for comments, so I thank you for going so deep into details!
Old 07-27-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionCamper
..... The automobile clubs (like AAA) of Germany, Austria and Switzerland tested same vehicles in white, silver, red and black because everybody believes what you believe. The final temperature is always the same! The Tuareg's black clothing initiated the idea this test.....
It's not a matter of what "everybody believes", it's a physical fact.
Black absorbs sun heat (Infra Red radiation) much more than bright colors, like white or silver, which absorb much less and reflect much more of the sun radiation, light and heat alike.
I once had a chance to check it with similar Jeeps in the desert. they arrived together and parked for about 3 hrs. The black one got much hotter inside than the white one.

Do you have a link for those AAA tests ?
Either they, or the one who reported it, are very wrong.
They could have found a relatively small temperature difference only if the test was done on a cold winter day -- when it doesn't matter.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry that I have no link. It's many years ago. They tested with high end equipment and printed the results.
Everybody can have his ActionCamper painted in any color. It just costs more.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Recent camping trip here in Washington's Cascade Range. We started at about 700' above sea level, and camped up at about 6,400' in the mountains. It was a brisk 37 degrees on the second morning!

We did find some interesting roads:

All the Jeeps and other rigs were pretty well set up. Made it easy & comfortable when all the rigs are capable.

Regards, CW
Old 07-27-2015, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jsu92
What armor is that pictured??? I want it!
Rock Hard skids in aluminum.
Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Teaser video for our recently completed Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR) off-road trip is now online...Video Link: https://youtu.be/JC9zkyXvaik
Looks great Mark! Stoked for full release. Digging all the different terrain.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Did the Whipsaw trail and French mines detour in British Columbia, Canada this weekend. The trail was wet from a heavy rain storm the night before which made some of the obstacles challenging. I think a stock jeep would need to winch its way up on one or two of the sections

pic from the trail around 6000ft.

group stopped at a lake.

Then we went to the French mines, here was a cool view from near the mines

playing around on a stump at the overlook, had to do a poser shot.

walked around inside the mine, cool things to see

leaving the mine

view just outside the mine
Old 07-27-2015, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed my 40" rigid e2 for my overland jeep
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2771899263.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	537.0 KB
ID:	619538  
Old 07-28-2015, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mos11b
Just installed my 40" rigid e2 for my overland jeep
That is awesome!
How much light do you get on your hood with that? I'm in the market for a gobi soon and want to put a couple of D2's up there instead of a light bar. I am worried about the reflection off the hood.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Just judging by the photo, his hood is flooded with white bright light....as are his fenders. The Baja Desgins bars have a hyperspot beam that does not have that, it goes out over the hood of the jeep before putting light down. Great design.

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!