Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 09-22-2014, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Danish
I have a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon and removed my sub completely and replaced the plastic panel with one from a Sport model (without the subwoofer). I really can't tell the difference in sound
I rather have the trunk space. I am making my own drawer and slide out for my ARB fridge.
I wanted to do the same, like you I don't hear a difference in the stereo, but I just removed the sub and now use the area to hold a tow strap and some other recovery pieces.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Crying shame to lose space, but access is ridiculously awkward when you've got other gear piled or mounted atop it. Mine is now empty. It would be better used with a Genright second gas tank.

GenRight offers the best prices and customer service for JK Extended Range Gas Tank, Dual to be purchased online 24/7.
This is my plan. Ordered my new exhaust last week - confirmed with GR that it'll be compatible with their tank. No clue when I'll be forking the dough out for that... but it is on the list.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Multiple sleeping bags on a trip?

Originally Posted by crusaderJK
I was able to test my new camping gear (sleeping mat, sleeping bag and tent)this weekend.
Looks like I made some good decisions choosing the gear. The first night it was heavily raining and the temperatures were around 32°F.
Had no water inside the tent except for some condensation....not even enough to form drops.
The Coleman Hampton double sleeping bag was a little too cold the first night, so I switched to my older Marmot down sleeping bag.
The second night it was a bit warmer and I comfortably slept in the big Coleman.
My new sleeping mat has a wedge-shaped top end, so your head rests like you had a pillow. The whole mat is just awesome!!
You almost sleep like you do in your bed at home.

Attachment 547215Attachment 547216Attachment 547217
What do most of you do about planning for changing temperatures at night on a trip? Do you carry multiple sleeping bags or does any one make a good sleeping bag that can help compensate for the unforeseen temperature changes? No one wants to be too hot or too cold. I live in the south (Louisiana) and I have never made it to the mountains, but I understand the weather can change suddenly.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a sleeping bag I bought at Costco that has zipper vents on the sides and feet. That way it can be used in warmer conditions or zipped up for colder.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TFREE
What do most of you do about planning for changing temperatures at night on a trip? Do you carry multiple sleeping bags or does any one make a good sleeping bag that can help compensate for the unforeseen temperature changes? No one wants to be too hot or too cold. I live in the south (Louisiana) and I have never made it to the mountains, but I understand the weather can change suddenly.
I'm not much farther north (arkansas) but to answer your question, the military sleep system is made for "all weather". It has three different bags for different temps with a bivy to keep you dry in the rain/snow. I'm sure there are others out there. You know how us barefoot rednecks are about our military gear though. Lol

You better watch where you're going and remember where you been.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a couple of different bags, lately I have been using my 30 year mummy bag. When I was traveling through Canada & Alaska, if it was a little warm, I just didn't zipper the bag and 2 weeks ago in Colorado mountains, when I woke up to ice on my tent, I was so happy to have it. I also use an air mattress with a army blanket between me and the air mattress, it works great.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, there are a few options.
If you can't carry different sleeping bags, a good option would be to have a mid-range sleeping bag and also have an additional fleece liner in case it get's too cold.
Mummy bags are better for cold weather, because they leave less space inside that you'll have to warm up with your body heat. Some even come with a collar you can close around your neck, so the warm air won't escape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130702-WA001.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	578828
That's how me and my brother spent a night at 46°F exposed to a light breeze.
He slept in a summer sleeping bag (mummy style) all wrapped up and was freezing.
I slept in a mid-range sleeping bag (also mummy) all wrapped up and wasn't freezing.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NMBruce
I also use an air mattress with a army blanket between me and the air mattress, it works great.
To add to this: make sure the air mattress isn't one of those full-sized blowup ones that are 6" or 8" thick or so. As tempting and as comfortable those can be when it is warm, for cold nights you'll be freezing...that's a lot of air to warm up between you (warm) and the ground (cold). Warm moves to cold, so your body needs to warm up that air before you will be comfortable...which will never happen.

Fleece or blankets between you and the mattress (as NMBruce suggests) help, but you might still be cold. Get one of those thin insulated mats or thin inflatable mattresses and you'll be much more cozy on those sub-freezing nights!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I took all of these pictures at Overland Expo East in Asheville, NC this past weekend. Although I was only there on Saturday, I had a blast. The expo seemed to be a success, and hopefully they will continue the annual event on the east coast in the years to come. There were some very impressive vehicles out there, and not just Jeeps. Only the first Jeep pictured belongs to me. If I have posted someone’s vehicle and they don’t want it posted, just let me know and I’ll remove it.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

For super cold nights, less than 35 degrees, I have a small heated throw blanket that I plug into my Goal Zero and it supplies a warming heat inside the sleeping bag. Never needed to run more than a few hours. Two to sleep and 2 hours around 4 am.
Make sure you try the set up out at home before needing it. Not all throws can be used with the goal zero batteries

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!