Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 10-28-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
This is something a friend and I have been mulling over for the past couple years. Can't answer your question, but something you may want to consider is taking the ferry back. It isn't especially cheap, but it's probably less expensive the driving back and paying enroute for hotels and meals if you'd be retracing the same route covered. Actually, we were probably going to take the ferry up so that a fixed date doesn't have to change if we have vehicle problems enroute.
Mark, if you plan to take the ferry one way, I will recommend taking the ferry home. I did not take the ferry because of cost, but a guy I know did going up and then the Alaskan Highway was closed for 4 days on his return trip and he had to take the ferry again because his leave was up and an extra $2500 cost he didn't plan on. After Whitehorse we went up to Dawson YT, there was some road work, but nothing too bad, coming back I drove the Alaskan Highway from Tok and the road was horrible from the boarder to 150 km, about as bad as some of the trails I have been on. All of this is being worked on, but from what I was told, it is that way most of the time.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toxicity_27
Well I'm starting to plan a future trip to Alaska. I've got a rough route planned out, but need to get a few stops figured in between the long drives and for staying overnight. I've got a few guides coming to me in the mail. If anyone has any information, places I should stop feel free to let me know. The earliest I plan on going would be 2016 but I want to make sure I can get as much planned out before then as possible.

Also, what is the avialbility of diesel past Whitehorse andon up to Deadhorse?
Get the MilePost, it will help you a lot. I didn't need diesel, but there where a lot of trucks that did need it and I think it was most places.

the worst part for us was from Fort Nelson to Waston Lake, there where a few places that where out of gas and where I did get it, it was $1.99/L or $7.48/Gal As for places to stay, Hotels will be $$$, we camped a lot and where lucky to find hotels when needed. Most places will cost you $160+, even motel 6 in Anchorage is $160/night in the summer. Camping was easy, always for a site, except for around Denali and Anchorage.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NMBruce
Get the MilePost, it will help you a lot. I didn't need diesel, but there where a lot of trucks that did need it and I think it was most places.

the worst part for us was from Fort Nelson to Waston Lake, there where a few places that where out of gas and where I did get it, it was $1.99/L or $7.48/Gal As for places to stay, Hotels will be $$$, we camped a lot and where lucky to find hotels when needed. Most places will cost you $160+, even motel 6 in Anchorage is $160/night in the summer. Camping was easy, always for a site, except for around Denali and Anchorage.
Thanks for the info! I found the MilePost the other day and will definitely be getting it. Good to know about the fuel as well.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

... his leave was up ....
Thanks, Bruce. Actually, we're both retired so a four day delay wouldn't be a big problem. A bigger problem would be if we had mechanical difficulties and couldn't make the ferry. Or if we were having a great time and decided to spend an extra week up there. That's why we'd prefer the anchor at the beginning and not the end.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! I found the MilePost the other day and will definitely be getting it. Good to know about the fuel as well.
maybe i will see you up there, right now I have some friends that want to go in the summer of 2016
Old 10-29-2014, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Thanks, Bruce. Actually, we're both retired so a four day delay wouldn't be a big problem. A bigger problem would be if we had mechanical difficulties and couldn't make the ferry. Or if we were having a great time and decided to spend an extra week up there. That's why we'd prefer the anchor at the beginning and not the end.
make sense. just have extra bug spray
Old 10-30-2014, 02:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Duly noted. LOL.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard the mosquitoes are bad up there. It's hard for me to imagine a place where they are worse than they are here!
Old 10-30-2014, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard the mosquitoes are bad up there. It's hard for me to imagine a place where they are worse than they are here!
I would say they are a little bit bigger, but there are a LOT MORE. there are places where you get out of your vehicle and there are 20 or more mosquitoes on you in a min or less.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

looking for a rear storage cover, part number 1PM27DX9AD, I am going to try and make some changes to my rear cargo area and need a second cover to play with, anyone have one they are not using?
https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...eep-4-DOOR-LID

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!