Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hunty's Jeep JK Airbag Suspension

Old 08-29-2014, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunty's Jeep JK Airbag Suspension

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDAdNi3uCtU
Old 08-29-2014, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

That is sweet Hunty!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Pretty cool, I would like to have that option for the large rocks that you tend to get hung up on to get some belly clearance.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you give me the specs on the bags.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had air springs on my previous Jeep (in the picture at the left).
4 air valves (toggles) controlled each wheel separately – which allowed body adjustments for any situation.
Stock height for DD, and continuous lift choice, up to about 9” lift. The pressure needed for more than 5”-6” made them too hard to my taste.

Ride quality was what every metal coil could only dream of: Air springs are the ultimate progressive (in fact, exponential) springs, as they become really gradually harder.
Near the end of the travel they were strong enough to prevent bump stop hits, even when sprinting at 50+ on trails.
Other Jeeps could not reach that speed on that trail, they got way too bouncy – while I could have gone at an even higher speed if the trail didn’t have a sharp turn. The Jeep felt completely comfortable and controllable, and bounced like a Jeep with a good lift at 20 mph.

BUT…

The suspension & steering geometries are set for a specific lift.
You can’t have correct geometry at both 0” and at 3” or 4” lift – this means eventual damages.

I sold the Jeep when I had a tempting chance to get a Rubi.
I never had any problem caused by the air springs, but I was careful with it – lifted only when necessary and then lowered it.
Still, the damage accumulates, and it’s only a question of time before the new owner will have to repair or replace parts.

The bottom line is that air springs are terrific, if used at a fixed lift, and if you're willing to replace a simple metal coil with a complicated system, which may eventually require servicing. A metal coil never leaks.

Last edited by GJeep; 08-29-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
The suspension & steering geometries are set for a specific lift.
You can’t have correct geometry at both 0” and at 3” or 4” lift – this means eventual damages.
That is a very good point actually. I had brief visions of low riding it in town and lifting it for the trail but your point makes that impossible for the long term.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer
That is a very good point actually. I had brief visions of low riding it in town and lifting it for the trail but your point makes that impossible for the long term.
That Jeep was nice when I had to take a brilliant lawyer to a meeting - she wasn't exactly tall, so I lowered the Jeep for her to get in... Or, the other day when someone was was about to get in, lifted one leg, and I started raising the Jeep... I wish I could have a video of his expression...

Quick Reply: Hunty's Jeep JK Airbag Suspension