Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jeep 5-tire Rotation

Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep 5-tire Rotation

Greetings All,

I'm getting my 2011 JKU's tires rotated for the first time and after doing some research on this forum I've decided to go with the 5-tire rotation. Other members have posted an illustration which shows the proper way for the tires to be rotated but the image was very "un-Jeep". So I figured I'd throw something together for fellow Jeep lovers.

I also have a better quality version for print which I took to the tire shop. Surprisingly, the manager at the shop didn't look at me funny when I handed him the image. He said he's a big fan on the 5-tire rotation.

Now I'm just waiting for the tread on this things to wear out so I can upgrade!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4206592278.jpg
Views:	2358
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	218713  
Old 10-03-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

hmmmm im still a believer in the 4 tire. because if you bought 5 then only have to buy 3 new tires
Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm personaly a fan of the 5-tire rotation for the simple fact it is much easier for the DIY'er. By using the spare you can get by with only the OEM equipment your Jeep came with, since you only have to jack up one corner at a time & always have the next tire ready to go. Doing only rotating 4 means having at least 2 tires off at the same time. Plus, the Jeep spare is so much easier to get to than most vehicles.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MountainDEW
... Other members have posted an illustration which shows the proper way for the tires to be rotated but the image was very "un-Jeep". So I figured I'd throw something together for fellow Jeep lovers...
Thank you for posting this.

I'm already set on utilizing the five-tire rotation when I do my first oil change in... 800 miles.

Originally Posted by KY.
hmmmm im still a believer in the 4 tire. because if you bought 5 then only have to buy 3 new tires
Old 10-03-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

The only problem I see with doing just the 4 tire is the spare is just sitting there wroughting away. You would have dry rought in the side walls before you probably could buy 3 new tires, then not to mention you would be using a worn out tire as a spare
Old 10-03-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KY.
Then how are you going to justify a tire size upgrade?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do a rear cross when i rotate my tires, meaning i put the fronts on the same sides in the rear, and the passenger and driver rears get switched when i move them up front.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KY.
Only makes sense if you plan on buying the same tires again and again...

Interesting thing, my dealer told me I didn't need to rotate my "mud terrain" tires and that people who do "experience problems"... LOL

I didn't even bother trying to get into it with them... no doubt they would have laughed at the 5-tire rotation pic if I had brought it.

If you didn't rotate the 5th wheel in I'd suspect you'd have issues when it came time to use it and the diameter was different than the other four tires constantly being used. No?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Klink75

I'm personaly a fan of the 5-tire rotation for the simple fact it is much easier for the DIY'er. By using the spare you can get by with only the OEM equipment your Jeep came with, since you only have to jack up one corner at a time & always have the next tire ready to go. Doing only rotating 4 means having at least 2 tires off at the same time. Plus, the Jeep spare is so much easier to get to than most vehicles.
I didn't even think of this. That's pretty cool for a DIY'er!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BLK08JK

If you didn't rotate the 5th wheel in I'd suspect you'd have issues when it came time to use it and the diameter was different than the other four tires constantly being used. No?
Exactly, the spare would be brand new with full tread and probably No good by the time you got around to using it,

Also... You will get a bit more life out of the set of tires because you are using 5 instead of 4.

Quick Reply: Jeep 5-tire Rotation