Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Maertz's Half Ass Build Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TEX-AG
Are you keeping your spare inside the jeep?

All in all I really like your build, and respect all the work you are doing yourself
Thanks man. And not sure on the spare yet. May build something off of the rear bumper yet but it'll be a bit before i look at that
Old 04-17-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi

ell coilovers are ordered up. Decided to just got 16" front/rear to keep it simple. Looks like 18" may have worked, but i didn't want to chance it and in all reality 16 is plenty...

Tonight should be finishing all rear frame mounts. Front/Rear Bumper and filling the big hole in the rear.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been following silently. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by idiotec
Been following silently. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.
Thanks man. Its slowly getting there. Should be driveable a day or 2 after i get the shocks is the plan, but will still be a month or 2 till i can call it mainly done. The tires will cost a bit.. Once i sell my old tires or rear axle i should be able to have the axles fully built.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi

Well one side damn near fully welded on.

Also got the rear plate in to go over the hole I cut, but sorry I didnt take a pic of it and tank is already installed over it so I dont feel like taking it off just for a picture...

Working on making sure the axle is perfectly centered front to rear and side to side. The arms are set to the same length and once this is all done I will raise up the lower link crossmember and get it tacked in. There will be a lot of gusseting in my near future.

Once thats fully welded in I will be taking those jack stands to start working on the front. Hoping that over the weekend I get that done and the rear at least set under there.

Also the last crossmember I was hitting is 90% out... I had a plan to do a few things and as the night progressed I noticed my self working on completely different stuff than I had planned....
Old 04-18-2014, 08:21 PM
JK Jedi

Well lots of little stuff done today..

Welded plate onto frame rail to make it level for crossmember. Also measured up where it all needs to be so the rear axle is exactly centered.

Got the driveshaft close to where it needs to be.

Got the front axle set under there for now. Need to get it on jacks after the rear is burnt in.

Just measuring here I got 114" wheelbase, it was at a slight angle, but I also moved it forward another inch. Im guessing between 112" and 114"? But still to early to tell.

Last edited by Maertz; 04-18-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:27 PM
JK Jedi

got the wheelbase down to about 111 today.

Front will be a challenge. Looks like i will have to run the trackbar off the rear of the axle to not ruin any uptravel. The truss is massive i see why most dont use it... Will also be notching the frame a bit to hopefully have some uptravel.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi

Well played with steering a bit today, and cut our the fairlead hole.

Had my first set back.. I for some reason ordered angled lower mounts, wich I do not need. So i will have to wait on them to get them in and mock up the arms. Also had one rod end I assumed was the same as the jk wich it is not for my steering. I was able to mock it up with a smaller bolt, but need the correct one.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Jedi

Rear corners nearing completion, just need to cut holes for the lights and cut a small triangle to till that gap...

Front bumper also nearing completion, fully welded up and got the fairlead on, just need to drill the winch bolt holes .

Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you plan to mount the lowers on the frame side