Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Maertz's Half Ass Build Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKG33K
This build looks bad A$$! Nice work!
thank you sir.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What welder are you using. I'd like to do some of my own work just not familiar with the equipment and what would be a good home welder
Old 07-24-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
What welder are you using. I'd like to do some of my own work just not familiar with the equipment and what would be a good home welder
First things first. Find someone that will give you a basic lesson, then put your nose ten inches from whatever welding he'll let you watch him do. After a few hours of that, ask if you can lay a bead. Then get a book or two and learn about different techniques, etc.. Read up on PBB and some of the welding forums. The Miller forums and welding web come to mind, but there are plenty others. Then... And only then... Get yourself a machine. Practice is key.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Jedi

ive used about 3 different welders....

millermatic 211

hobart 190

lincoln 180c powermig

none of these are mine i borrow them as needed and when there available, but neat to try them all. I just hook them up with wire and gas and other welding supplies for them letting me use them.

even used a miller bobcat on a trailer another buddy had when i was without a welder for a bit.

Personally i think the lincoln will be my choice when i by one. then hobart then miller. I had nothing but problems with the miller i was using.

Im with abendx, i watched tons of welding and practiced on a lot of scrap metal, and even after that i had buddies do some of the more important welds as i continued practicing on some stuff that wasn't very crucial. I feel now I could handle them, but it took a good amount of time to get here, and really i am no expert. I can lay decent looking beads and i know they penetrate, but im sure there is tons of room for improvement. My roomate just had his truss welded on by a local welder and it looked like a damn robot did it.... I was envious.

Secondly get a gas set up from the get go.. When i started with flux i wanted to pound my face thru my jeep.. Gas will make life so much better.

Last edited by Maertz; 07-24-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:01 PM
JK Jedi

Well got some more shit in today, and the rest will be here tomorrow...

Put this on for now for the hell of it just to get it off the floor, not sure exactly how I want to do this yet....

Got the compressors in and new air lines ran

Also welded a few caps on some of the pieces that had holes, still need to do the 4 frame ones yet, i cut them out tonight as well just didnt weld them in yet...

Tomorrow night should be ok progress then hoping to bust ass all weekend!
Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ABENDX
First things first. Find someone that will give you a basic lesson, then put your nose ten inches from whatever welding he'll let you watch him do. After a few hours of that, ask if you can lay a bead. Then get a book or two and learn about different techniques, etc.. Read up on PBB and some of the welding forums. The Miller forums and welding web come to mind, but there are plenty others. Then... And only then... Get yourself a machine. Practice is key.
Our shop mechanic is a good welder and builds offroad vehicles as a hobby also. He let's me do some stuff around the shop (not on vehicles). So I get to practice some.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 PM
JK Freak

Our shop mechanic is a good welder and builds offroad vehicles as a hobby also. He let's me do some stuff around the shop (not on vehicles). So I get to practice some.
Beautiful!! That's the best way to learn IMO.

I know Matt stated his preferences... but I have never had any problems with Miller welders. I've used a 252 plenty and own a 211. My experience with other brands had been very limited, so I have no opinion of them. Also you have the chinese brands... I'm not up on the welders, but some of the plasma cutters coming out of these chi-com shops are pretty good. I can't speak to longevity, but the brand by that same name seems to put my three times as expensive Thermodyne to shame. You might want to read around on some of those to save some cash if you are so inclined.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:19 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ABENDX

Beautiful!! That's the best way to learn IMO.

I know Matt stated his preferences... but I have never had any problems with Miller welders. I've used a 252 plenty and own a 211. My experience with other brands had been very limited, so I have no opinion of them. Also you have the chinese brands... I'm not up on the welders, but some of the plasma cutters coming out of these chi-com shops are pretty good. I can't speak to longevity, but the brand by that same name seems to put my three times as expensive Thermodyne to shame. You might want to read around on some of those to save some cash if you are so inclined.
The miller i used was older though aswell so that may be part of it..

I know alot of my customers use thermodyme and hypertherm parts as some can cut some pretty thick stuff but ive used our Chinese Blackstone one that's 500 bucks and it surprised me. Ive never used the expensive ones... A plasma cutter or torch will same some time.. Hell i went thru about 100+ cutoff wheels and if i wasnt getting employee pricing id have been better off getting a cheap plasma.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz

The miller i used was older though aswell so that may be part of it..

I know alot of my customers use thermodyme and hypertherm parts as some can cut some pretty thick stuff but ive used our Chinese Blackstone one that's 500 bucks and it surprised me. Ive never used the expensive ones... A plasma cutter or torch will same some time.. Hell i went thru about 100+ cutoff wheels and if i wasnt getting employee pricing id have been better off getting a cheap plasma.
Those 3m zipcuts..m hold up like a champ...
Old 07-25-2014, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Jp3792
Those 3m zipcuts..m hold up like a champ...
zip cuts are a walter abrasive if im not mistaken...cubitron is 3ms version...but i personally would throw up the cubitron against a zip cut all day.

Last edited by Maertz; 07-25-2014 at 05:46 PM.