Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Maertz's Half Ass Build Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big dr
I just checked out this thread for the first time in a long time,,,,, Holy Crap your going BIG!!! I cant wait to see the finished product. (not that they are ever finished)
ha yeah the build escalated quickly. i thought it was plenty, but everyone i run with is on buggies or juggies on 40's plus. i either run a huge chance of rolling/ breaking or bypass like a schoolgirl. I couldnt take it anymore.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might as well cut the crash bar off too if you're going that far on the frame, it's practically sheet metal anyway :/
Old 02-20-2014, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by HardRooster
Might as well cut the crash bar off too if you're going that far on the frame, it's practically sheet metal anyway :/
what you mean crash bar? is that the real name for the bar i called the sway bar thinger bar?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 PM
JK Jedi

Well cut out that bar by the old swaybar....

Im assuming i can, but are there any reasons to not cut that harness and the wires off that plugs to the e-disco? I wont be putting one back in, but it ties into the locker wires in the y area. I wont be needing the lockers either with he new axles, but in the mean time id like to have them.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maertz
Well cut out that bar by the old swaybar.... Im assuming i can, but are there any reasons to not cut that harness and the wires off that plugs to the e-disco? I wont be putting one back in, but it ties into the locker wires in the y area. I wont be needing the lockers either with he new axles, but in the mean time id like to have them.
I wonder the same. I think I saw somewhere its possible. I have the antirock and just tucked mine out the way
Old 02-20-2014, 06:08 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Flexer07
I wonder the same. I think I saw somewhere its possible. I have the antirock and just tucked mine out the way
i dont see why it wouldnt work, its after the locker stuff. but yeah mine was tucked away, but im getting a bunch of wires in front there and want to clean them up a little.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Hey man! Your comp cut how did you go about doing it? Im entreaged! Id do that all day without a body lift. Any thoughts?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:01 PM
JK Jedi

I used a grinder and sawzall . Just kind if winged it with what i thought looked cool. I still have to finish cutting and clearing stuff out. Really no need to unless your putting big tires on or stretching it.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi

here is my idea for the front bumper.those squares will be 2x2 square tubing the top one will be flush mounted to the top and the front one will be notched into the frame and even with the front. Once those supports are in i will add 1/4 steel plate on the top and one on the front. the front one will be tall enough to mount a fairlead then i will trim the sides for a more finished look. the braces will give me alot more support for the plate instead of some big gaps. on the front flat stock i will also mount some d rings. my cost total should be around $50 for the whole thing.

after looking at it more, i may move the upper square forward more to possibly weld to the front one, but i want to center it between the top plate, so i will have to look at that also...
Old 02-21-2014, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
here is my idea for the front bumper.those squares will be 2x2 square tubing the top one will be flush mounted to the top and the front one will be notched into the frame and even with the front. Once those supports are in i will add 1/4 steel plate on the top and one on the front. the front one will be tall enough to mount a fairlead then i will trim the sides for a more finished look. the braces will give me alot more support for the plate instead of some big gaps. on the front flat stock i will also mount some d rings. my cost total should be around $50 for the whole thing.

after looking at it more, i may move the upper square forward more to possibly weld to the front one, but i want to center it between the top plate, so i will have to look at that also...
I doubt it matters but I want to throw it out there anyway. The frame is shaped like an accordion like that as part of the crash management. It's designed to crumple in an impact, slowing the deceleration rate and reducing your chance for injury. So if you ever get in a moderate accident, and you've modified those, you will crumple instead of the frame.

This concludes this public service announcement.