Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Moab Easter Jeep Safari 2008 Jeep Display

Old 03-25-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn that AEV Hemi kit looks amazing, sounds like something i would be able to complete in my garage by myself
Old 03-25-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
LOL!! Figured that would be coming.
I don't have too many pics as there was a lot going on at the time but we do have video of the breakage. Basically, I was tring to climb up a very tall and steep inverted rock ledge and blew out my rear drive shaft. Specifically, the output shaft exploded and damaged the double cardin to the point of no return. Getting back off the trail in 2WD put so much strain on my front axle that my tie-rod ended up bending FOWARD. It was the craziest thing and the bend was significant enough to change my toe-in by as much as 3". Considering factory is closer to 1/16", you can imagine how visibly off it was.
what driveshafts do you have?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:42 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepik
damn that AEV Hemi kit looks amazing, sounds like something i would be able to complete in my garage by myself
Actually, it comes so complete, I'd be willing to bet you could.

Originally Posted by mcnaught6
what driveshafts do you have?
I was running JE Reel 1310's but in all fairness, the yoke that shattered was an off the shelf Spicer part and it looked like the casting might have been bad.

Originally Posted by gt3073b
+1 ^^^

Did you catch the shaft on a rock or did your CrMo axles move the weak link up to the drive shafts? If that is the case, that should ease the fears about 5.13 gear teeth.
I don't think so but it's hard to say for sure. More than likely, my rear tires just bit into the the inverted ledge and the weakest link broke. I think I will be upgrading to 1350's now though.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

That orange color is amazing.

I wonder how much it would cost to repaint the JK to match that!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by .irish.
That orange color is amazing.

I wonder how much it would cost to repaint the JK to match that!
To do it right, it would cost a lot. But, for whatever it's worth, Sunburst Orange is already available on Patriots and will most likely be a new color for the JK in 2009.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 AM
JK Junkie

Sorry to hear about the carnage WOL.

On a side note, I emailed you back about the JK decals(the dark Silver). Let meknow if I can get those through normal means (the website) or if I just need to contact you. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
LOL!! Figured that would be coming.
I don't have too many pics as there was a lot going on at the time but we do have video of the breakage. Basically, I was tring to climb up a very tall and steep inverted rock ledge and blew out my rear drive shaft. Specifically, the output shaft exploded and damaged the double cardin to the point of no return. Getting back off the trail in 2WD put so much strain on my front axle that my tie-rod ended up bending FOWARD. It was the craziest thing and the bend was significant enough to change my toe-in by as much as 3". Considering factory is closer to 1/16", you can imagine how visibly off it was.

Yikes... I would have been sweating bullets if it were my Jeep...
Lucky you are a mechanic--> That had to cost a pretty penny to fix?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
Sorry to hear about the carnage WOL.

On a side note, I emailed you back about the JK decals(the dark Silver). Let meknow if I can get those through normal means (the website) or if I just need to contact you. Thanks.
Sent you an email

Originally Posted by Dizzyliz
Yikes... I would have been sweating bullets if it were my Jeep...
Lucky you are a mechanic--> That had to cost a pretty penny to fix?
It was a bummer to break but nothing too severe. Fortunately, I had tools with me to remove the broken shaft so that I could hobble out and thankfully, I was with friends that could have pulled me back into town if it were really necessary. Back in town, I could have easily had the Moab 4x4 Outpost or Six States who was at the vendor show fix my drive shaft for about $100 but thanks to the generosity of Steve Kramer (owner of Full Traction), I was able to borrow the one he had on his show Jeep (it was getting trailered back to CA) so that I could get home - what a nice guy!!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Good to hear you got you got it fixed up, and here you said you take it easy in moab..

Good pictures btw!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

When/where can we get all those really nice mopar mods?

Quick Reply: Moab Easter Jeep Safari 2008 Jeep Display