Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My dash light mod

Old 02-03-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use red lights or purple lights for the same purpose when truck driving as It keeps your eyes dialated so you don't get blinded by upcoming cars. The passing lights from upcoming cars is what makes your eyes tires because they are stressed from constantly dialating back and forth. Cool set up.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jackson2010jk
Thats why the military uses red lights at night- retains night vision and cannot be seen at a distance.

Love the lights, looks good.

do the cupholder lights light up your bottled water?
We actually use green to the max possible. Red blooms out on night vision goggles. A little red LED like that I could see from 50+ miles at 25K feet.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Wow It looks like you spent alot of time on this.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jackson2010jk
do the cupholder lights light up your bottled water?
I just tried it, and no, they don't make it glow or anything. You are just aware of some red in there.
Originally Posted by officer_vince
Actually the best night-light is green!
However, the ability to get green LEDs individually and not as a strip limited me. That and most green ones in the other threads are hella bright. Mine are ridiculously dim. All my dash lights are set to max dim. To give perspective, all the dash shots were taken with 8 second exposures. When you are used to dim light they make you able to see what is going on in the Jeep, but don't blind you. From the drivers seat you can't actually see any lit LEDs unless you open a door (turns on the ones above the rearview), or take the cupholder liner out.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

is there a write up on how to do this or anything?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

This was the write up that most followed. The original was lost.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/my-light-solution-40202/
As far as the dome lights, they are plug and play (take out white bulb put in red bulb).
Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HornetBall
We actually use green to the max possible. Red blooms out on night vision goggles. A little red LED like that I could see from 50+ miles at 25K feet.
I think what Jackson what saying that in the vehicles in the military, the dome lights are either red or blue or both. The red is best for your night vision. It is easier on your eyes to adjust. It allows you to keep your night vision with the lights on. The blue is for emergency vehicles because it is easier to see blood with blue lights.

When you wear the green night vision goggles and then take them off it takes a long time to your eyes to adjust to be able to see again. This is the idea of using the red lights. It helps keep your night vision with little adjusting. It is a lot safer to have red if you are going to run them while you are driving.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

Looks great. Need to see if I have the time and patience to do this one...
Old 02-10-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Since everyone else has been doing this in one way or another, I figured I would get in on the fun.
Right now I only have 3 LED lights above the A/C rings. I will probably put two more above the window switches. I plan to put some in the back door handles, as well as in the rear cupholders pointing up at those switches as well.
I did it the same as everyone else, grounding to the black wire coming out of the cigarette lighter, hot wire coming from the orange wire with gray stripe going into the A/C panel (it is dimmable).
Here it is on lowest setting.

And here is high.

Taking into account that there was a 2 second exposure, the light doesn't look like a beam going onto the t-case shifter like that. It mainly stays a light red glow. You can't see the bulbs without leaning down into the armrest, so I like that.
Where did you get the LED's?

I tried this way back when I bought the Jeep but they would start flickering and burn out after a week or so. I wired it the same way you did. Maybe I was just using cheapo LEDS
Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Very Das Boot! Looks cool!

Quick Reply: My dash light mod